Last Updated: 26 March 2020 - 11:30 NZT
In light of the recent global travel restrictions and our duty of care to our customers and staff, we have made the decision to suspend all upcoming Stray trips until 1 June 2020.
Please read this information and the FAQs below.
Our customer support team is experiencing a high volume of calls and emails, so please check for the answers to your questions below, before getting in touch.
Thank you for your patience at this challenging time.
- Documentation for Travel Insurance
Stray tours are currently suspended in New Zealand, Australia and Asia.
If you hopped off and were not with the group, please get in touch to let us know your whereabouts. Our Reservations Team is prioritising helping customers get to the nearest airport. Domestic bus services and flights are now very limited so we suggest you make getting to an airport a top priority.
- If you are still travelling and need our support, you are our priority - please get in touch. We will assist you to book alternative transport. If you need to travel by train, please book it with us by 3:30pm the day before.
- If you have cut your trip short we would really appreciate a quick email to let us know your whereabouts.
- Please cancel any activity or accommodation bookings you have made in the Stray Mate app. If you cancel before the cut off time, you'll get a full refund. If the cut off time has lapsed – please get in touch with our team and they’ll be able to assist you
Phone: +64 (0) 9 526 2140
Email: [email protected]
We know that these are stressful and challenging times for travellers and our aim is to be as supportive and flexible as possible.
Our new Special Amendment and Credit Policy has been developed to allow you to put your trip on ice until you are able travel again.
If you would prefer to cancel, Stray's standard cancellation policy applies.
We hope to see you on a Stray tour in the not too distant future!
Applies to: All customers with a Stray pass or tour purchased after 16 March 2019 including customers who have not yet selected a travel date.
Validity: Use credit to start travel any time in the next two years, before 31 March 2022.
Travellers who have not yet started travelling can:
- Change their start date free of charge
- Book another start date to travel anytime before 31 March 2022
- Can swap their booking for a credit of the price paid, to travel on any product that Stray offers in any region before 31 March 2022.
Travellers that had their trip cut short after starting:
- Travellers who travelled less than 25% of their trip are eligible for 100% credit.
- Travellers who travelled more than 25% of their trip are eligible for a travel credit with Stray pro-rata for the unused portion of the trip. This credit can be used to travel on any product that Stray offers in any region.
- Credit must be used to start a new trip before 31 March 2022.
If you would like to change your start date:
If you’re travelling on a Freestyle Pass or Tour you can update your travel dates in Stray Mate.
If you are travelling on a Stray Journeys Tour OR you would like to change your ‘start travel’ date to next season (after 30 September 2020) you can use this form to let us know and we will update your booking:
To swap your current Stray trip for credit:
Use this form to let us know that you would like us to change your trip for credit.
Credit Terms and Conditions:
- Bookings will be credited with the amount paid at the time of booking.
- Credit can be used for any Stray trip, in any region Stray operates in.
- If the customer wants to travel in a different region, the credit will be converted to the relevant currency (NZD for New Zealand trips, AUD for Australian trips, USD for Asia trips) at the rate that was correct on the original date of purchase.
- Leftover credit can be gifted to a friend.
- Credit cannot be refunded.
- Credit can be cancelled under Stray's Standard Cancellation Policy, within 18 months of the original purchase date.
- Once credit has been swapped for a new booking, that booking is subject to Stray's Standard Cancellation Policy
- Customers who booked via an agent can apply directly to Stray for credit. This will validate once we receive payment from the original booking agent. Once credit is validated, Stray becomes the agent and creates a contract directly between the customer and Stray. The customer can rebook a trip with Stray directly.
If you would rather cancel your Stray trip, Stray’s Standard Cancellation Policy applies.
Cancellations must be made with your original booking agent who may charge an additional fee. If you booked online please contact [email protected]
Stray will charge the following fees in the event of booking cancellations
8+ Days before departure (or open dated): 20% of fare will be charged 8+ days before departure.
3-7 Days before departure: 50% of fare
Less than 48 Hours or after departure: 100% of fare - passes/tours are non-refundable and non-transferable
Melbourne Express sector: If you have a confirmed departure date for the Melbourne Express sector, you will be subject to the express operator’s cancellation terms. These will be confirmed at the time of booking
We are able to provide an official letter for your travel insurance provider should you require it.
Service delivery time is 5 working days
I had started travelling with Stray but only got a few days into my trip before needing to head home – have I forfeited my trip?
No, if you have completed less than 25% of your trip you are eligible for 100% credit to come and travel with us again. Use the ‘Activate my credit’ option.
I had travelled over half of my trip in Asia before border restrictions meant we couldn’t travel any further. What happens now?
We’d love you back on the Stray bus and make it up to you so we are offering you pro-rata credit for the remainder of your trip so that you can use it towards any Stray trip in any region (New Zealand, Australia, or Asia). You can start travelling with us again any time before 31 March 2022.
My upcoming trip is no longer running. What are my options?
You can select a new start date, free of charge to start any time before 31 March 2022. If you don’t know when you might like to travel in the future you can swap your trip for credit to travel with us in any region Stray operates in so you can decide at a later date. Activate my credit.
I’m due to travel with Stray after 1 June but I’m not sure if I will be able to. What should I do?
Keep an eye on this page. We will be reviewing the situation and making a call on trips scheduled to depart after 1 June by 1 May. If you cannot travel, you can select a new travel date, or swap your booking for credit.
I haven’t set a start travel date yet. Am I still eligible for the extended start period?
Yes. If you bought your pass after 16 March 2019 (one year ago) you are eligible to defer your travel to start any time before 31 March 2022.
If I don’t want to travel in the future and just want to cancel, what is Stray’s refund policy?
Stray’s Standard Cancellation Policy applies. Refunds are calculated based on the amount of notice you give. Please see below. If you have travel insurance, you may be able to claim on your insurance for expenses incurred.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +64 (0) 9 526 2140