Terms and conditions for travel marketed by, and travel with, Stray Ltd.
- Customer First Policy
- Stray Journeys & Inclusive Tours
- Freestyle Passes and Tours
- Special Amendment & Credit Policy (in response to COVID-19)
- Stray's Cancellation Policy
At Stray we’re all about putting our customers front and centre of everything we do. We want to ensure that you are safe, happy and having the time of your life. With this in mind, please review our Customer First Policy:
In the spirit of putting customers first, our Guides will ensure that our coaches are cleaned and sanitised regularly. We’ll have a box of masks and a bottle of hand sanitiser on board the bus, however we strongly encourage you to bring your own reusable masks, which will help the environment and may afford you greater comfort.
If you test positive for COVID-19 within 7 days of your departure, or cannot meet your scheduled departure due to covid-related restrictions, then you’ll be able to choose a different departure date free of charge subject to providing evidence of a positive test or disruption. If the rate of your new departure is more than that original rate paid, you will be required to pay the difference. You’ll also be able to put the rate paid towards a different product. If the rate of the new product is less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking. As part of our customer first policy, we’ll provide all the required information for an insurance claim should you be impacted by a positive COVID-19 test result within 7 days of your departure.
Travel Insurance is required when travelling with Stray. Your policy should cover you in case you get sick (COVID-19 or otherwise), lose an item(s) or miss your tour. We recommend reviewing your policy to make sure it has the applicable cover required including covid related claims.
If you test positive for COVID-19 whilst on tour, Stray can support your isolation, onward travel and provide general support on your behalf. Stray can work with your insurance provider over any extra incurred costs in relation to your disruption.
While we fully respect your right to choose whether or not you are vaccinated, some of our accommodation or activity suppliers may require proof of vaccination on entry. If this is the case, we’ll be sure to let you know in advance and you may be required to source alternative options.
Find out full details of Stray's Cancellation Policy
Standard Terms and Conditions
- These points make up all of the terms of contract between Stray (‘Stray’ or ‘us/we’) and the customer (‘passenger/you’).
- Prices: Prices: All prices are inclusive of tax. Prices listed on Stray's website may be rounded. The final amount charged may vary +/- $0.50 of the advertised price. New Zealand products are priced in NZD. Australian products are priced in AUD. Asia products are priced in USD
- Stray passes and tours are only valid for the person whose name they were originally issued for and are non-transferrable. Passengers can expect to be Photo ID checked.
- Behaviour: Stray is not a common carrier and therefore can refuse to carry a person whose behaviour is detrimental to the enjoyment of the group. By travelling with Stray you agree to accept the authority of the Guide and accept their decisions. Our staff are entitled to a safe working environment, and our passengers to a great experience. Any threats to safety, being physical or verbal, or inappropriate behaviour may result in removal from the trip. If a Guide requires a passenger to leave the trip no refunds will be given and the passenger in question will be responsible for their own travel costs from that point.
- Published information: Stray will endeavour to adhere to published/stated departure, arrival and general travel times however on occasion, external and unpredictable events may prevent us from meeting these times. In these scenarios Stray is not liable for any loss or damage arising out of, or consequentially upon, any abandonment of, or delay in, any departure. We make a concerted effort to ensure the accuracy of our brochure, Stray Mate and website content however on occasion details may vary. Liaise with your Guide or Stray’s reservations team for clarification. Where a new brochure has been published (as shown by the validity date) it supersedes all older brochures. Anything listed in the brochure as free is not considered included in the ticket price and is non-refundable and non-transferable, no matter what the circumstances.
- Disruptions: Stray will not be held liable for unforeseen disruptions to your trip that are beyond our control (weather, natural disasters, third party service changes, etc). We will always endeavour to assist you but encourage you to take out a comprehensive travel insurance policy that will cover you for unforeseen disruptions, cancelling and cutting short your trip, delayed departures, accident and medical.
- Sickness & injury: While all care will be taken, Stray will not be held liable for any sickness or injury to any customer.
- Visas: It is the passenger’s responsibility to carry a valid passport and appropriate visas while travelling on any Stray services.
- Travel Insurance: Travel insurance is not included with Stray passes or tours. Adequate and valid travel insurance is compulsory to travel with Stray in all regions. Your travel insurance policy must cover you for accidents, injury, illness and death medical expenses, including any related to pre-existing medical conditions, emergency repatriation (including helicopter rescue and air ambulance where applicable) and personal liability. Stray also recommends that it covers tour cancellation or curtailment, loss of/damage to luggage, personal effects and natural disasters. When travelling with us in Asia, you must provide Stray with your travel insurance details prior to departure and carry your policy information with you while travelling and produce it on request. Your trip may be cancelled or you may be removed from a tour if you cannot provide proof of travel insurance at any time. We do not take responsibility for any personal possessions lost under any circumstances.
- Where third party operator services are included in Stray's passes/tours, Stray will make every endeavour to ensure the operator meets their obligations in the delivery of the service. If the Operator fails to deliver on their obligations Stray will seek a fair and reasonable resolution, which may result in a partial or full refund. If the expected level of service or inclusions have been misrepresented by the ‘booking agent’, the passenger will need to address their concerns directly with their agent. Stray takes no responsibility for any act of neglect by any company whose services are used as part of your trip including but not limited to, activity and accommodation providers.
- Stray accepts no responsibility for any independently operated activity a passenger chooses to undertake while travelling with Stray.
- Illegal activity: If passengers are caught with non-prescription, illegal drugs or partaking in illegal activities while travelling with Stray, any resulting consequences (incarceration, capital punishment and even death) will result in the passengers Stray pass/tour being nullified (voided) without refund. Stray will refuse carriage and will take no responsibility for passengers partaking in illegal activities.
- Images and video: On occasion, Stray conducts photo and video projects for the purposes of promoting its products and services. Passengers on these trips will be given the option to opt out of any such activities. Passengers are to advise their Guide should they wish to be excluded. If you do not opt out you are consenting to Stray using the images taken whilst on your Stray trip for advertising and promotional purposes worldwide, royalty-free in any medium.
- Deposit payments: A $200 deposit is required upon booking. Full payment is required within 6 months of the booking or a minimum of 31 days prior to departure (whichever comes first). If the full payment is not received in the designated time frame, Stray reserves the right to cancel the booking. Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable. When you pay by deposit, you have committed to paying the price advertised at the time of booking, regardless of any price changes or alternative promotions that become available. If you want to cancel your Stray pass after pay the deposit, please check the details of Stray's Cancellation Policy.
- Promotions with free inclusions or value-adds: A value added product (which could be a pass, journey, accommodation, activity or good) is a product which is included free of charge with the purchase of another Stray product. Value-added products cannot be sold, transferred to another traveller’s name, exchanged for a refund or an alternative product. If a traveller is unable to redeem the value-add product within 18 months of the original purchase it is forfeited. Once travel has commenced, Stray's Cancellation Policy applies and neither of the bundled products is subject to a refund. If a promotion has bespoke terms or conditions for a free or value-added offer (e.g. travel date restrictions) these will supersede our standard conditions. [term amended from 12 months to 18 months on 11 March 2020]
- Competitions and Prizes: Stray products included as part of a competition or prize pack cannot be exchanged for cash, sold or transferred. Products must be redeemed within 12 months of the announcement or within a specific time frame if stated in the competition/prize terms, or the prize will be forfeited. These generic terms apply unless a variation is specified in the competition's terms.
- Disputes: Should you wish to raise any issues regarding your trip, it is your responsibility to notify Stray as soon as possible so that we have every reasonable opportunity to resolve the issue.
If you are currently travelling: Advise your Stray Guide of your concern immediately so that steps can be taken to address the matter. If you would prefer to contact Stray directly, email [email protected].
If you have finished travelling: You must email [email protected] within 28 days of the dispute in question.
We will not consider claims that are submitted 28 days after the dispute in question. Please provide a valid email address so we can provide a written response.
- Law: These terms and conditions apply to the extent that they are NOT inconsistent with, or in contravention of, any obligation imposed on Stray by local law in the country of travel.
- Children: New Zealand Tours: Children aged 7 – 17 may travel, only if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Children are entitled to 15% off the full retail price of Stray Journeys based on their age at the time of commencing travel (not booking). Australia Tours: Children aged 12-17 may travel if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Asia Tours: Children aged 12-16 may travel if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Travellers aged 16 or 17 years old can only travel alone with a signed consent form from a parent or guardian (contact Stray reservations for the form - [email protected]). Please note: some of Stray’s preferred accommodation is 18+, which means that any travellers younger than 17 may need to find alternative accommodation or stay in a private room.
- Luggage: Luggage must be limited to one backpack, bag or case per person with a maximum weight of 15kgs as our buses have limited storage space. You may also travel with a daypack for cameras, valuables, raincoats and items you will need to access throughout the day. Stray does not take any responsibility for any damage to, or loss of, any property or personal effects under any circumstances while passengers are utilising any of the services which Stray provides or markets.
- Fuel: We have fuel efficient buses to minimise our consumption but we reserve the right to put in place a fuel surcharge (at any time post ticket purchase) if fuel prices increase significantly during the pricing validity. Any surcharge will be payable to your Guide on your first day of travel. It will be a maximum of $30 local currency (NZD/AUD/USD) and will be clearly outlined online if initiated.
- Water safety: During your Stray trip there are options to be involved in swimming or water based activities independent of Stray and its partners. It is the passenger’s sole responsibility to determine if he or she is qualified and capable of participating in any water activity, and he or she chooses to participate at their own discretion.
- Fitness: Our tours are active so a reasonable amount of fitness is required. We undertake walks throughout the day to break up travel days. If you have any concerns regarding your suitability for any of our tours, please discuss this with our reservations staff before booking.
- Dietary requirements and allergies: Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so they can be catered to where possible.
- Cancellations: If you cancel your pass or tour a cancellation fee will apply. See Stray's Cancellation Policy.
Stray’s standard terms and conditions outlined above apply. The below terms are in addition to our standard terms and unique to Journeys and Inclusive Tours.
- Itinerary changes: Stray may vary itineraries, activities and transport modes at its discretion – due to the nature of our product and the environment within which we operate. However if Stray cancels a trip departure or part-thereof, the customer will be offered an alternative option or alternative travel date. If the alternative does not suit the passenger a refund will be made available (or pro-rata if only a portion of a trip is cancelled). If a trip is cancelled due to an external event outside of Stray’s control (extreme weather, natural disaster, political unrest etc.) an alternative date will be offered otherwise standard cancellation fees apply. Travel insurance is recommended to travel with Stray and customers should ensure their policy covers them for protection against unpredictable events.
- Included: Transport, Guide, accommodation, activities and meals as specified in the itinerary. Meals are stipulated on your selected itinerary: (B) = Breakfast, (L) = Lunch and (D) = Dinner.
- Accommodation: Accommodation is included at each overnight stop – in NZ most trips do not include the last night’s accommodation in our final destination. In Australia they do, except for the Casssowary Tour. Linen is provided free of charge at all overnight stops. Upgrades to a private room are limited but may be available upon request. En-suite rooms are not guaranteed with upgrades. If booking an accommodation upgrade, please note that there are some exclusions: Hahei, Doubtful Sound, Blue Duck Station in NZ, Whitsunday sailing in Australia and our homestays in Asia.
- Reconfirm your departure: Please reconfirm your departure date and pick-up location by contacting our Reservations Team on +64 (0) 9 526 2149 or [email protected] 7 days prior to your departure. This will allow us to confirm your pick-up time and let you know of any important information relating to your trip.
- Accommodation with Children: Any person or group travelling with a child or children (aged 7-17) is required to upgrade their Stray Journeys Tour accommodation to a private room. Private rooms will be provided for all locations except Hahei and Doubtful Sound which will be shared. This is for the safety and comfort of both parties.
- Changing a start date: Changes are permitted up to 31 days prior to the original date of departure, providing your tour is paid for in full. The new requested departure date is subject to availability and must be within 18 months of your original booking. If the rate of the new departure costs more than the original, you will be required to pay the difference. If the rate of the new departure cost less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking. Upgrades to twin/single rooms are subject to availability and not guaranteed. If an upgrade is not available on the new departure date this portion may be refunded at Stray’s discretion. If you purchased your Stray Journeys Tour after 16 March 2019 you are eligible for extended validity terms as detailed in Stray's Special Amendment & Credit Policy.
- Changing to an alternative product: If you wish to change to an alternative Stray Journey, you may do so provided the original booking and has been paid for in full. If you are upgrading to a higher value pass, you will be required to pay the difference. If you are downgrading to a lower value product, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
- Minimum numbers: Departures require a minimum number of passengers to operate. In circumstances where minimum numbers are not reached an alternative departure date will be offered or a full refund. Passengers will be notified by email at least 31 days in advance of such changes.
- Cancellations: If you cancel your Journey a cancellation fee will apply. Stray's Cancellation Policy
Stray’s standard terms and conditions outlined above apply. The below terms are in addition to our standard terms and unique to Freestyle Passes and Tours
- Validity: Stray’s Freestyle Passes and Tours are valid for 12 months from the first day of travel (subject to any normal visa restrictions). You must commence travel within 18 months of purchase. You can hop on and hop off the Stray bus as often as you want, within a 12 month period. If you purchased your Freestyle Pass or Tour after 16 March 2019 you are eligible for extended validity terms as detailed in Stray's Special Amendment & Credit Policy.
- Unlimited Travel: Available in New Zealand only. You can re-travel most sectors of your New Zealand Freestyle pass within 12 months of your first date of travel. Re-travel Exclusions: ‘Day Trip to Cape Reinga’ and the 'Christchurch - Greymouth' sector. Re-travel must be booked through [email protected] and cannot be booked in the 'Stray Mate’ app. Re-travel is offered on a ‘space available’ basis (i.e. standby) and first-time travellers are prioritised. On the day you will need to present photo ID to your Driver. Anyone deemed to be abusing Stray’s travel policies will be immediately removed from the bus and charged for any unauthorised travel.
- Hopping off: You can "hop off" at any overnight stop along the Stray route. You cannot hop off along the route of sectors run by third party operators.
- Failure to meet a reserved departure will result in the cancellation of your booking on that travel day and any subsequent booked travel dates. You must re-book your travel in Stray Mate to reserve your seat. Failure to meet a reserved train departure is considered a "no show" and will result in the cancellation of your booking and this sector being forfeited. You must make your own way to the next destination.
- Third Party Sectors: Sectors operated by third parties must be booked 72 hours prior to travel so a ticket can be issued. If you fail to meet these departures or change your booking after the allocated "cut-off’ time you will forfeit travel on this sector and will need to rebook it at your own expense.
NZ: 'Paihia - Cape Reinga' and 'Christchurch - Greymouth' are operated by third party operators.
Asia: 'Bangkok - Chiang Mai', 'Bangkok - Siem Reap', 'Vientiane - Bangkok', 'Don Det - Bangkok', 'Siem Reap - Bangkok', 'Phnom Penh - Ho Chi Minh' are operated by third party operators.
- Cancellations: If you cancel your pass a cancellation fee will apply. See Stray's Cancellation Policy.
- Changing a start date: If you purchased a Stray pass with 'travel anytime conditions’, you can change your start date to any available date within 18 months of the original booking. If you purchased a pass on promotion for a specific travel date (or travel period) and wish to change to a start date outside of the promotional terms, you can do so provided it is within 18 months of the original purchase. If the rate of the new departure is more than the original rate paid, you will be required to pay the difference. If the rate of the new departure date is less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking. If you purchased your Freestyle Pass or Tour after 16 March 2019 you are eligible for extended date-change terms as detailed in Stray's Special Amendment & Credit Policy.
- Changing to an alternative product: If you wish to change to an alternative Stray product, you may do so provided the original booking and has been paid for in full. If you are upgrading to a higher value product, you will be required to pay the difference. If you are downgrading to a lower value product, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
- Itinerary changes: Stray may vary routes, activities, transport modes, number of departure days and departure times at its discretion – due to the nature of our product and the environment within which we operate. However if Stray cancels a trip departure or part-thereof, the customer will be offered an alternative option or alternative travel date. If the alternative does not suit the passenger a refund will be made available (or pro-rata if only a portion of a trip is cancelled). If a trip is cancelled due to an external event outside of Stray’s control (extreme weather, natural disaster, political unrest etc.) an alternative date will be offered otherwise standard cancellation fees apply. Travel insurance is recommended to travel with Stray and customers should ensure their policy covers them for protection against unpredictable events.
- Accommodation when travelling with children (7-17 years): If you are travelling with children you must be booked into a private room at all destinations (as opposed to sharing with other guests on the trip). This is to ensure the comfort and safety of both parties. The parent or legal guardian will need to contact the accommodations at each destination prior to travel in order to make accommodation arrangements. You can find a list of Stray's accommodations here.
- Minimum numbers: Some sectors and experiences may require a minimum number of passengers to operate. In circumstances where minimum numbers are not reached an alternative option will be offered. Passengers will be notified by email at least 48 hours in advance of such changes.
- Public Holiday Travel: On some public holidays such as Christmas Day and New Years Day departures and/or inclusions may be altered. Check the Service Updates page for more information.
- Freestyle Tour Inclusions: Included accommodation and activities will be booked in association with your confirmed travel dates in accordance with the published itinerary. You cannot use activity or accommodation inclusions on any day other than that which is stated in the published itinerary. If you fail to redeem booked activity or accommodation inclusions, you will forfeit the inclusion and will not receive reimbursement. Stray can assist with rebooking the activity or accommodation; however, this will be at your own cost.
- Freestyle Tour Accommodation: Accommodation is included as specified in the itinerary. Should you choose to hop-off the bus, or to book alternative accommodation during the tour, you are responsible for additional costs associated with that accommodation. If you fail to redeem booked accommodation you will forfeit the inclusion and will not receive reimbursement. Stray can assist with rebooking the activity or accommodation; however, this will be at your own cost.
- Border Crossings (Asia): Stray will wait for a reasonable amount of time at border crossings, but if for any reason there is an unreasonable delay (caused by the passenger), then Stray will depart without the passenger who will be required to travel on the next departing Stray tour or to catch up with the current tour at their own expense.
Our Special Amendment and Credit Policy was developed on 16 March 2020, during the global COVID-19 pandemic to allow you to confidently defer your trip until you are able travel again.
Applies to: All customers with a Stray pass or tour purchased between 16 March 2019 and October 31 2020 and includes customers who have not yet selected a travel date.
Validity: Use credit to start travel any time in the next two years, before 31 March 2025.
Travellers who have not yet started travelling can:
- Change their start date free of charge as many times as they like
- Book another start date to travel anytime before 31 March 2025
- Can swap their booking for a credit of the price paid, to travel on any product that Stray offers in any region before 31 March 2025.
Travellers that had their trip cut short after starting due to travel restrictions imposed due to coronavirus in 2020:
- Travellers who travelled less than 25% of their trip are eligible for 100% credit.
- Travellers who travelled more than 25% of their trip are eligible for a travel credit with Stray pro-rata for the unused portion of the trip. This credit can be used to travel on any product that Stray offers in any region.
- Credit must be used to start a new trip before 31 March 2025.
Credit Terms and Conditions:
- Open-Dated Bookings will be credited with the amount paid at the time of booking.
- Credit can be used for any Stray trip, in any region Stray operates in.
- If the customer wants to travel in a different region, the credit will be converted to the relevant currency (NZD for New Zealand trips, AUD for Australian trips, USD for Asia trips) at the rate that was correct on the original date of purchase.
- If the new trip costs more, you can pay the difference. If it costs less, leftover credit can be gifted to a friend.
- Credit is subject to Stray's Cancellation Policy at the time the original booking was made.
- Customers who booked via an agent can apply directly to Stray for credit. Stray will validate this with the original booking agent. Once credit is validated, the customer can rebook a trip with Stray directly.
'Amendments' to change dates, and a 'Credit' option, offer customers flexibility and an alternative option to cancellation. For cancellations, Stray's Cancellation Policy applies.
Standard Cancellation Policy applies for: Stray Freestyle Passes, Stray Journeys, Inclusive Tours, Arrival Packs and Day Trips.
If you have paid the $200 deposit to secure your seat and departure date, or made full payment and you need to cancel your booking, we have a couple of options available.
a) If you cancel your tour booking 31 days or more before your confirmed departure date:
- If you've booked direct with Stray and made full payment, the cancellation is free of charge and you will be refunded in full (less any applicable credit card fees).
- If you've booked direct with Stray and paid the $200 deposit, you will be refunded in full minus the non-refundable $200 deposit.
- If you've booked with an agent, you will need to go back to your agent to find out their cancellation terms.
b) If you cancel your tour booking 30 days or less before your confirmed departure date:
- If cancelled or you do not show up, 100% of the tour price (full payment) is non-refundable or transferable.
- If your cancellation relates to COVID-19 reasons within 7 days of your departure, a free date change for the tours/passes is possible (proof may be required).
Check out our Customer First Policy for more COVID-19 related information when you're travelling with Stray.
Cancellations should be made with your original booking agent who may charge an additional fee and/or have their own refund/credit policies. If you booked online please contact [email protected].