Last Updated: 1 November 2020
What a year 2020 has turned out to be! COVID-19 travel restrictions have affected our 2020 tour schedule in all regions.
We are absolutely devastated for all of our customers who haven't been able to continue with their travel plans.
We are regularly reviewing the global situation and will be doing our best to get back on the road as soon as it is safe and possible to do so.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +64 (0) 9 526 2140
A small selection of NZ tours will continue
All Freestyle passes and tours are
We have launched a new
All passes and tours are suspended
Thank you for sticking with us. Here's what we promise you:
Your Start Date is 100% Flexible
Send us an email when you've got a new start date in mind. If you want to change the date after that - no problem! You can change the start date of your trip as many times as you like without any change fees, hassles or questions asked. You just need to give us notice.
You can swap your tour for a different tour
If you would prefer to travel on a different tour, or even in a different country, you can! You can swap your original booking to any other Stray tour in New Zealand, Australia or Southeast Asia. If your new tour costs more, you'll just need to pay the difference. If it costs less, you can give the leftover credit to a lucky friend.
Passes and Tours are now valid until 2023
We have automatically extended the validity of your trip so you can start travelling with us any time before 31 March 2023.
Credit is valid until 2023
If you started travelling with us and didn't get to finish your trip, you will have Stray credit. If you haven't started travelling you can also choose to swap your original booking for credit. Credit can be used to book any Stray tour, in any region that Stray operates in, that departs before 31 March 2023. If the new product costs more, you'll just need to pay the difference. Request Credit
- Documentation for Travel Insurance
Stray’s Special Amendment and Credit Policy were developed in response to COVID-19, to give customers the flexibility to change their trip to a later date, swap their tour, or receive travel credit. All customers who purchased a Stray pass or tour between 16 March 2019 and October 31 2020, are eligible for these special terms.
Travellers who have not yet started travelling can:
- Change their start date free of charge as many times as they need to
- Book another start date to travel anytime before 31 March 2023
- Can swap their tour to travel any product that Stray offers in any region before 31 March 2023
- Can swap their booking for a credit of the price paid, to be used on any tour departing before 31 March 2023.
Travellers that had their trip cut short after starting:
- Travellers who travelled less than 25% of their trip are eligible for 100% credit
- Travellers who travelled more than 25% of their trip are eligible for a travel credit with Stray pro-rata for the unused portion of the trip. This credit can be used to travel on the same product or any other product that Stray offers in any region.
- Credit must be used to start a new trip before 31 March 2023.
It is free to change your departure date. When you've got a new departure date in mind, send us an email us to book it in. If you want to change it after that - no problem! You can change the start date of your trip as many times as you like without any change fees, hassles or questions asked, you just need to give us notice:
Freestyle Passes: 72 hours before departure. Date changes can be made in Stray Mate. Contact us to swap to another tour.
Freestyle Tours: 7 days before departure. Contact us.
Stray Journeys Tours: 14 days before departure. Contact us.
Borneo Explorer: 30 days before departure. Contact us.
Bhutan Explorer: 45 days before departure. Contact us.
Please note: If the rate of the new departure is more than the original rate paid, you will be required to pay the difference.
To swap your current Stray trip for credit:
Use this form to let us know that you would like us to change your trip for credit. Credit allows you to hold the cost of your booking in our reservations system and use it in the future. You just need to ensure you have used it to book onto a Stray tour that departs before 31 March 2023.
Credit Terms and Conditions:
- Bookings will be credited with the amount paid at the time of booking (or pro-rata if a portion of the trip has been completed).
- Credit can be used for any Stray trip, in any region that Stray operates in.
- If the customer wants to travel in a different region, the credit will be converted to the relevant currency (NZD for New Zealand trips, AUD for Australian trips, USD for Asia trips) at the rate that was correct on the original date of purchase.
- If the new trip costs more, you can pay the difference. If it costs less, leftover credit can be gifted to a friend.
- Credit cannot be refunded once it has been swapped for another tour. Once credit has been swapped for a new booking, that booking is subject to Stray's Standard Cancellation Policy
- Credit can be cancelled under Stray's Standard Cancellation Policy, within 18 months of the original purchase date.
- Customers who booked via an agent can apply directly to Stray for credit. Stray will validate this with the original booking agent. Once the credit is validated, the customer can rebook a trip with Stray directly.
If you would rather cancel your Stray trip, Stray’s Standard Cancellation Policy applies.
Cancellations must be made with your original booking agent who may charge an additional fee and/or have their own refund/credit policies. If you booked online please contact [email protected]
Stray will charge the following fees in the event of booking cancellations
8+ Days before departure (or open-dated): 20% of the fare will be charged 8+ days before departure.
3-7 days before departure: 50% of the fare
Less than 48 hours or after departure: 100% of fare - passes/tours are non-refundable and non-transferable
Melbourne Express sector: If you have a confirmed departure date for the Melbourne Express sector, you will be subject to the express operator’s cancellation terms. These will be confirmed at the time of booking
We can provide an official letter for your travel insurance provider should you require it.
Service delivery time is 5 working days
I had started travelling with Stray but only got a few days into my trip before needing to head home – have I forfeited my trip?
No, if you have completed less than 25% of your trip you are eligible for 100% credit to come and travel with us again. You can come back and travel the same trip, or if you want to swap it for a different trip, use the ‘Activate my credit’ option.
I had travelled over half of my trip before border restrictions meant we couldn’t travel any further. What happens now?
We’d love you back on the Stray bus and make it up to you so we are offering you pro-rata credit for the remainder of your trip so that you can use it towards any Stray trip in any region (New Zealand, Australia, or Asia). You can start travelling with us again at any time before 31 March 2023.
My upcoming trip is no longer running. What are my options?
The validity of your trip has been extended until 31 March 2023. We hope to have all trips back up and running in all regions again soon, however, if you trip is not currently running and you'd like to swap to any other Stray trip, you can! Get in touch and let us know.
I haven’t set a start travel date yet. When do I have to let you know?
No rush! You can let us know at any time. You can start travelling with us any time before 31 March 2023
If I don’t want to travel in the future and just want to cancel, what is Stray’s refund policy?
Stray’s Standard Cancellation Policy applies. If you have travel insurance, you may be able to claim on your insurance for expenses incurred.