Last Updated: 22 June 2020
Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions and our duty of care to our customers and staff, we have made the decision to suspend all upcoming Stray trips in New Zealand, Australia and Asia until 1 November 2020.
If you were planning to travel with us before 1 November we're so sorry. We understand how disappointing it is to have travel plans disrupted and we promise to make it up to you once you arrive.
If you have already booked a Stray trip you can be assured that:
✅ Passes and Tours are now valid until 2022
We have automatically extended the validity of your trip so you can start travelling with us any time before 31 March 2022.
✅ Your Start Date is 100% Flexible
We plan to release new timetables in August. Email us when you've got a new start date in mind. If you want to change it after that - no worries! You can change the start date of your trip as many times as you like without any change fees, hassles or questions asked. You just need to give us notice.
✅ You can choose to swap your booking for credit
If you would prefer to change your tour or where you travel, you can swap your original booking for travel credit. With credit, you can rebook onto any product that Stray offers in any region we operate in that departs before 31 March 2022. Request Credit
If you'd like to discuss your travel plans with us, please get in touch:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +64 (0) 9 526 2140
New Zealand - Special Departure Tour
If you're currently in New Zealand and you already have a booking, you can swap your booking for credit and use your credit towards this trip.
Email [email protected] to find out how this would work for you.
- Documentation for Travel Insurance
Applies to: All customers with a Stray pass or tour purchased between 16 March 2019 and October 31 2020 and includes customers who have not yet selected a travel date.
Stray’s special amendment and credit policy was developed in response to COVID-19, to give customers the flexibility to change their trip to a later date, swap their tour, or receive travel credit.
For cancellations, Stray's standard cancellation policy applies.
We hope to see you on a Stray tour in the not too distant future!
Travellers who have not yet started travelling can:
- Change their start date free of charge
- Book another start date to travel anytime before 31 March 2022
- Can swap their booking for a credit of the price paid, to travel on any product that Stray offers in any region before 31 March 2022.
Travellers that had their trip cut short after starting:
- Travellers who travelled less than 25% of their trip are eligible for 100% credit.
- Travellers who travelled more than 25% of their trip are eligible for a travel credit with Stray pro-rata for the unused portion of the trip. This credit can be used to travel on any product that Stray offers in any region.
- Credit must be used to start a new trip before 31 March 2022.
Email us when you've got a new start date in mind. If you want to change it after that - no worries! You can change the start date of your trip as many times as you like without any change fees, hassles or questions asked. You just need to give us notice.
Freestyle Passes: 72 hours prior to departure. Date changes can be made in Stray Mate. Contact us to swap to another tour.
Freestyle Tours: 7 days prior to departure. Contact us.
Stray Journeys Tours: 14 days prior to departure. Contact us.
Borneo Explorer: 30 days prior to departure. Contact us.
Bhutan Explorer: 45 days prior to departure. Contact us.
If the rate of the new departure is more than the original rate paid, you will be required to pay the difference.
To swap your current Stray trip for credit:
Use this form to let us know that you would like us to change your trip for credit.
Credit Terms and Conditions:
- Bookings will be credited with the amount paid at the time of booking.
- Credit can be used for any Stray trip, in any region Stray operates in.
- If the customer wants to travel in a different region, the credit will be converted to the relevant currency (NZD for New Zealand trips, AUD for Australian trips, USD for Asia trips) at the rate that was correct on the original date of purchase.
- Leftover credit can be gifted to a friend.
- Credit cannot be refunded once it has been swapped for another tour. Once credit has been swapped for a new booking, that booking is subject to Stray's Standard Cancellation Policy
- Credit can be cancelled under Stray's Standard Cancellation Policy, within 18 months of the original purchase date.
- Customers who booked via an agent can apply directly to Stray for credit. This will validate once we receive payment from the original booking agent. Once credit is validated, Stray becomes the agent and creates a contract directly between the customer and Stray. The customer can rebook a trip with Stray directly.
If you would rather cancel your Stray trip, Stray’s Standard Cancellation Policy applies.
Cancellations must be made with your original booking agent who may charge an additional fee and/or have their own refund/credit policies. If you booked online please contact [email protected]
Stray will charge the following fees in the event of booking cancellations
8+ Days before departure (or open dated): 20% of fare will be charged 8+ days before departure.
3-7 Days before departure: 50% of fare
Less than 48 Hours or after departure: 100% of fare - passes/tours are non-refundable and non-transferable
Melbourne Express sector: If you have a confirmed departure date for the Melbourne Express sector, you will be subject to the express operator’s cancellation terms. These will be confirmed at the time of booking
We are able to provide an official letter for your travel insurance provider should you require it.
Service delivery time is 5 working days
I had started travelling with Stray but only got a few days into my trip before needing to head home – have I forfeited my trip?
No, if you have completed less than 25% of your trip you are eligible for 100% credit to come and travel with us again. You can come back and travel the same trip, or if you want to swap it for a different trip, use the ‘Activate my credit’ option.
I had travelled over half of my trip in Asia before border restrictions meant we couldn’t travel any further. What happens now?
We’d love you back on the Stray bus and make it up to you so we are offering you pro-rata credit for the remainder of your trip so that you can use it towards any Stray trip in any region (New Zealand, Australia, or Asia). You can start travelling with us again any time before 31 March 2022.
My upcoming trip is no longer running. What are my options?
The validity of your trip has been extended until 31 March 2022. Once we release new departure dates, let us know which trip suits you, and we'll book you on.
I haven’t set a start travel date yet. Am I still eligible for the extended start period?
Yes. If you bought your pass after 16 March 2019 (one year ago) you are eligible to defer your travel to start any time before 31 March 2022.
If I don’t want to travel in the future and just want to cancel, what is Stray’s refund policy?
Stray’s Standard Cancellation Policy applies. Refunds are calculated based on the amount of notice you give. If you have travel insurance, you may be able to claim on your insurance for expenses incurred.