The ultimate North Island holiday - this tour will take you to the very best spots including Hahei, Rotorua, Tongariro National Park and Blue Duck Station. You’ll also have the chance to explore the North Island’s two largest cities: Auckland and Wellington. Jump on the bus, meet your awesome driver guide and get ready to hike volcanic craters, witness the stunning beauty of Cathedral Cove and learn all about Maori culture at the Tamaki Maori Village... just to name a few things!
"Absolutely the best choice I made on my trip to New Zealand was booking a Journey with Stray. It was the easiest way to make new friends and have an absolute great time. There are so many great places and activities that it's almost impossible to pick one as a favourite. Blue Duck Station, Lake Aniwhenua and Hahei were the top three but nothing was disappointing. Highly recommend also going to Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga."
You'll travel in our comfortable mid-sized coaches around the North Island.
Far more than just a driver - expect entertaining commentary, insight into local secrets and extra support from your guide.
These are the special off-the-beaten-track destinations on the route that make Stray's tours stand out from the crowd. You can see them marked with a heart on the map because they're the places our travellers love.
9 nights’ accommodation in a variety of quality hostels, wilderness lodges and cabins.
Top rated activities
- Lake Aniwhenua Experience – guided tour of sacred Maori rock carvings, introduction to the Murupara area, Hangi and Maori bread cooking demonstration, delicious ground cooked hangi feast, dessert and continental breakfast.
- Blue Duck Station: Eco-Warrior 4WD farm tour
Your Guide can help you book any additional activities you want to do that are not included in the itinerary, often at a special discounted Stray price!
Due to COVID-19 all Stray trips are suspended until 1 November 2020. Please check our Service Updates page for more information.
Departs from: Auckland
Day: Tuesdays & Saturdays
You can select your departure date and check availability at checkout.
Today you have a full free day to embrace the laid back Coromandel lifestyle. Get up early to catch the sunrise on the beach, then take a scenic coastal walk or opt to kayak to stunning Cathedral Cove. Another option is to take a guided boat tour through the cliffs and caves of the nearby marine reserve.
We leave Hahei early travelling through to Paeroa, home of New Zealand’s oldest and largest soft drinks company – L&P, where we’ll stop for a fun photo op at a local landmark. Our drive today will take us through the Waikato region, known for its many dairy farms, rolling hills and the mighty Waikato River (the largest river in New Zealand). This afternoon you’ll have free time to explore the sights and smells of Rotorua.
Often labelled the adventure capital of the North Island, you have a full free day in Rotorua to discover a wealth of adventure activities and geothermal wonders. Go ziplining through native bush, zorbing or take a truly unique guided jet boat adventure to bathe in a hot waterfall. Looking to relax instead? Visit the hots pools and bubbling mud baths at one of Rotorua's geothermal parks or take in a Maori cultural performance. Film buffs may want to sign up for a guided tour through the world-famous Hobbiton Movie Set. The choice is yours!
There’s time to squeeze in one last Rotorua activity this morning before we head further off the beaten track to the remote area of Lake Aniwhenua for an exclusive cultural experience like no other. Your Maori host family will share with you their story and traditions, as well as their vision for making a difference in their remote community. You'll see sacred Maori rock art, play traditional stick games for hand-eye coordination and watch the preparation of a ground cooked 'hangi', before tasting it for yourself! (D)
Please note: The minimum number required to visit Lake Aniwhenua is 9 people. Groups that don’t meet minimum numbers will overnight in Taupo. Please contact Reservations if your group does not visit Lake Aniwhenua.
After breakfast we depart and head to Taupo, where the bravehearted can opt to plunge from a plane to skydive over Australasia’s largest lake! If you're not up for an adrenaline hit, walk the Huka Falls Walkway track, or spend time exploring this popular lakeside town. In the afternoon, we make our way to Blue Duck Station, an award-winning 7,200 acre high country farm that is both a working station and an environmental conservation leader. Settle in and spend the evening learning a little more about what makes this unique destination a top-rated stop. (B)
Today you have a free day to explore this truly amazing and secluded location in depth. The included 4WD farm tour will give you a tantalising taste of life in remote, rural New Zealand. There are plenty of other optional farming and conservation-based activities for you to experience around the property as well.
We depart at 6am and head to the active volcanoes of the nearby dual World Heritage Site of Tongariro National Park. Today you get a chance to do what is rated as one of the world’s best one day walks: the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Be prepared for some epic scenery as you walk across a rocky plateau with dramatic volcanic peaks, craters and turquoise lakes that you’ll remember for a lifetime. Tonight, you can soothe your tired muscles from the big walk in the spa pool at your accommodation or relax with a celebratory drink by the fire.
Today we head to Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city, via Ohakune, Taihape and Bulls. You have the afternoon to cruise around the shops and cafes along popular Cuba Street, discover the New Zealand wonders on display in Te Papa Museum or stroll along the waterfront.
We've chosen high quality backpacker accommodation in a variety of hostels, wilderness lodges and cabins. Dorm-share accommodation is included with your tour. You can choose to upgrade your accommodation to a single or twin/double private room (subject to availability). Upgrades do not apply to Hahei accommodation (2 nights).
- Single Room: +$515
- Double/Twin Room: +$285 per person
To request an accommodation upgrade for your whole tour please email us ([email protected]) to book.
Or you can choose to upgrade as you go and pay the difference directly to the operator when you arrive (subject to availability).
- Twin/Double upgrades are based on two people sharing and can only be booked if you are travelling with a companion.
- Please note that at some destinations your private room will include an ensuite bathroom and some it won't.
- The standard accommodation in Hahei is quad-share and upgrades are limited. If available you can upgrade on arrival and pay direct to the operator.
Need to Know
Due to COVID-19 all Stray trips are suspended until 1 November 2020. A new timetable will be available 1 August 2020. Please check our Service Updates page for more information.
Stray Journeys are designed to take you on a once-of-a-lifetime journey, with plenty of awesome stops along the way showing you the real New Zealand!
During the off-peak season (April to September) Stray Journeys tours are operated on the Freestyle Travel route. This means that some passengers on your trip who are travelling on flexible passes will be hopping on and off the bus but you will stick with the bus for the duration of your tour.
Some key details...
- Group Size: Small Group (Avg 15, Max 45)
- Physical Rating: Average - our tours include light hiking
- Transport: Travel by private, air-conditioned bus (20-45 seats).
- Guides: Your Guide is also your driver - expect entertaining commentary, to learn some interesting facts about New Zealand and to hear a crazy story or two.
- Accommodation: Standard accommodation is dorm-share. Upgrades may be available on request.
- Activities: Top-rated activities are included. If you want to do any additional activities, not specified in the itinerary, these can be booked via your guide, often at special Stray price.
- Meals: Meals are not included except for at Lake Aniwhenua (includes afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast). If you have any dietary requirements, please let us know when you book.
- Stray Journeys Travellers: Our travellers are from all over the world, they are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 22-35 years old. 70% of our travellers are travelling solo.
- Children: While not common, children aged between 7 - 17 are permitted to travel on this tour providing they are travelling with a parent or legal guardian and are booked to stay in a private room together. A 15% discount off these rates is available for children. Please email [email protected] to enquire about availability.
What to Bring:
Sturdy walking shoes/boots, swimming gear, hat and sunscreen, motion sickness tablets, water bottle, towel and toiletries, warm clothing and waterproof jacket, insect repellent, camera.
Luggage should be restricted to 15kg in a single bag or suitcase, plus a small day pack.
Every Tuesday and Saturday between April and September from Auckland City:
- YHA City (Go to Queen St) 7:20am
- YHA International 7:20am
- Base ACB (Corner of Queen St & Darby St) 7:30am
- Oakley Shop (99 Queen St) 7:40am
- Nomads Auckland (Go to Oakley Shop) 7:40am
Travelling in Summer from October - April
Between October and April, a variation of this tour is available: Beetham Tour
This tour follows a different itinerary to suit the season.