Our Stu Pass (9+ days) will have you cruising from Brisbane to Cairns through those bucket list spots like Airlie Beach and Magnetic Island.
SALE NOW ON
Save $146 on the Stu Pass this month!
Offer ends 3 March 2020
Take the pressure off, kick back, relax and let someone else organise your transport. You'll be travelling up the coast on a mix of our Stray buses, comfortable trains and ferry.
More than just a guide - expect entertaining commentary, extra support and local secrets.
Explore Queensland's highlights, including some off-the-beaten-track destinations that make Stray stand out from the crowd. You can see them marked with a heart on the map because they're the places our travellers love.
View your itinerary and book accommodation and activities on-the-go. Flexibility at it's finest!
Have a bed reserved for you at every Stray overnight stop. Book and pay via our Stray Mate app.
Travel your time, your way. From 9 days to 12 months, you can hop on and off anywhere along the route.
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
- Bluff Point walk at Emu Park
- Guided Rainforest Walk, Airlie Beach
- Forts Walk/Radical Bay Walk, Magnetic Island
- All National Park Fees
Do you want accommodation, activities and meals included?
Check out the Stu Freestyle Tour.
The itinerary below is for the current season. Given the nature of our trips and lack of control over weather, what we do each day might occasionally vary.
N.B. Hop off at Rainbow Beach or Noosa to visit Fraser Island and at Airlie Beach to visit the Whitsundays.
G’day mate, and welcome to your Stray adventure! Begin your northbound trip from Queensland's capital city of Brisbane and travel north to the upmarket beach resort town of Noosa. You may choose to hop off here or continue on to Rainbow Beach for the night. After your first travel day, you'll welcome the chance to stretch your legs this evening with a walk to Carlo Sand Blow in Rainbow Beach to catch a gorgeous sunset. If you want to visit fantastic Fraser Island, the largest sand island in the world, you can depart from Noosa or Rainbow Beach.
After stopping briefly to pick up those who stayed in Noosa, we depart from Cooroy on our first train journey of the trip. Kick back for a scenic train ride to Rockhampton, where we meet the bus and your Stray Guide to head to our next Strademark destination, Emu Park. While at Emu Park you’ll have the option to visit stunning Great Keppel Island, snorkel with turtles and hike to some secluded white sand beaches (extra cost); or you can choose to do your own thing!
See More moment: Our stay at Emu Park provides your chance to get up close and personal with the Great Barrier Reef. You’ll have the chance to snorkel and play amongst one of the seven wonders of the world.
Please Note: Some trips may have an extra night at Emu Park.
Today we recommend opting to visit the highlight of the area, Great Keppel Island, a tropical island paradise at the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef. Catch the ferry for a day of snorkeling or kayaking (extra cost) before exploring the island itself in search of the perfect white sand beach for a little afternoon rest and relaxation. Tonight, we’ll gather together for dinner at Emu’s Beach Resort before we catch our first overnight train to Airlie Beach.
The train arrives in Prosperine early in the morning. Your Airlie-based Stray Guide will meet you at the train and accompany you on the bus into Airlie Beach. They'll help you store your bags, and then grab breakfast (extra cost) and give you a brief orientation of the town to help you get your bearings. You'll have the rest of your day free in Airlie Beach to do as you please.
You can choose to join your guide for a hike in the rainforest to see amazing almost 360-degree views of Airlie and the Whitsunday Islands. A splash in the lagoon is a must do on a hot afternoon. You can jump out of a plane, or just relax and spend your day discovering the local area.
We recommend you spend at least 3 days in Airlie beach so that you have time to join a multi-day sailing adventure around the famous Whitsunday Islands.
Please Note: Some trips may have an extra night at Airlie Beach.
You'll be up with the parakeets this morning with a medley of transport to catch today. Travelling by bus, train and ferry (oh my!) we arrive at our destination of Magnetic Island in the late morning. Nearly 50% of ‘Maggie Island’ is national park land, and it's chock-full of amazing beaches and abundant wildlife. Your legendary local guide will meet you at the train station and then join you on a scenic walk to either the beautiful Radical Bay beach or the historic Forts Complex for incredible views and amazing photo opportunities. Join in the group pizza dinner tonight (extra cost).
See More moment: This island paradise is your best chance on the East Coast to see koalas in the wild! Keep your eyes out for these sleepy marsupials, rock wallabies, and colourful birds as you explore the forested island.
Please Note: Some trips may have an extra night at Magnetic Island.
We catch the ferry back to the mainland in the morning, and travel by train to Tully, arriving at lunch time. From here you can join our Stray exclusive Rainforest Experience (additional cost) or continue on the train to Cairns. Those who choose the Rainforest Experience will travel by bus into the heart of the stunning Tully Gorge National Park. We’ll cool off in a beautiful swimming hole this afternoon, before heading to our camp for a BBQ dinner (included) and spend the evening sharing stories around the campfire.
See More moment: Head deep into the tropical rainforest of Tully Gorge National Park. Learn about the native flora and fauna in this incredible World Heritage Area.
This morning you can take a guided walk through the forest to learn about the traditional indigenous usage of the land. In the afternoon, we jump on the train to our final destination, Cairns. We arrive by late afternoon, so you'll have time to get ready to celebrate the final night of your epic East Coast adventure. There's heaps to do in Cairns so check out your Stray Mate app for all the best options.
The days and times shown below are for the current season. To see future timetables, please visit our Timetables page. N.B. These are subject to change based on weather.
- Wednesday - Minimum 8 days (Free day at Magnetic Island)
- Friday - Minimum 9 days (Free days at Emu Park & Tully)
- Sunday - Minimum 8 days (Free day at Magnetic Island)
Brisbane to Rainbow Beach
|Rainbow Beach (Arrive)||15:30||15:30||15:30|
Rainbow Beach to Emu Park
|Rainbow Beach (Depart)||09:30||09:30||09:30|
|Maryborough West (Depart)||14:40||14:40||14:40|
|Miriam Vale (Depart)||16:35||16:35||16:35|
|Emu Park (Arrive)||19:30||19:30||19:30|
Emu Park to Airlie Beach (Overnight Train)
|Emu Park (Depart)||21:30||21:30||21:30|
|Airlie Beach (Arrive)||07:20||07:20||07:20|
Airlie Beach (1-3 Days)
|Airlie Beach (Free Day)||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free||Free|
Airlie Beach to Magnetic Island
|Airlie Beach (Depart)||05:05||05:05||05:05|
|Townsville Train Station (Depart)||09:38||09:38||09:38|
|Townsville Ferry Terminal (Depart)||10:30||10:30||10:30|
|Magnetic Island (Arrive)||11:30||11:30||11:30|
Magnetic Island to Rainforest Experience
|Magnetic Island (Depart)||07:50||07:50||07:50|
|Magnetic Island Ferry Terminal (Depart)||08:20||08:20||08:20|
|Townsville Ferry Terminal (Depart)||08:50||08:50||08:50|
|Townsville Train Station (Depart)||09:53||09:53||09:53|
|Rainforest Experience (Arrive)||15:00||15:00||15:00|
Rainforest Experience to Cairns (via Tully)
|Rainforest Experience (Depart)||11:00||11:00||11:00|
|Tully Train Station (Depart)||13:57||13:57||13:57|
Need to Know
- Transport: Travel by bus, train and ferry. All included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Guides: Your Stray guide is your go-to for entertaining commentary, interesting facts, crazy stories and travel advice. Between Brisbane and Rainbow Beach, your Guide is also your Bus Driver. Between Rainbow Beach and Cairns, where we travel on the fast, comfortable trains, you'll have In-Location Guides who will meet you at the station and show you around.
- Stray Travellers: Find your tribe and make meaningful connections with travellers from all over the world. The majority of our passengers are aged between 20-35 but there is no age limit! 70% of our travellers are travelling solo.
- Hopping on/off: Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route for up to 12 months. To hop back on, simply book your next travel date and pickup location through our Stray Mate app.
- Minimum Days: You don't need to hop off if you're short on time - you can travel your pass in the "Minimum Days". There are non-travel days throughout the route so you will not be travelling everyday.
- Departures: Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Inclusions: The cost of your accommodation, meals and extra activities is not included in a hop-on hop-off pass. You have the flexibility to choose what suits your budget and pay-as-you-go.
- Booking Buses: Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your transport in advance.
- Booking Accommodation: You can book and pay-as-you-go for accommodation via the Stray Mate app. There will be a dorm bed allocated to you at each overnight stop providing you book via the app 24 hours before.
- Booking Activities: You can book and pay-as-you-go for activities via the Stray Mate app, often at an exclusive Stray price!