Terms and conditions for travel marketed by, and travel with, Stray Ltd.
Terms and Conditions for hop-on hop-off travel passes marketed by, and travelled with, Stray Ltd.
- The points on this website make up all of the terms of contract between Stray Ltd ("Stray") and the customer.
- All prices are in NZD and are inclusive of 15% GST.
- Prices listed on Stray's website may be rounded. The final amount charged at check-out may vary +/- 0.5 cents of the advertised price.
- Stray's passes are valid for travel once in one direction for the route identified, only except with "Unlimited Travel" where you can re-travel certain sectors (see point #5).
- "Unlimited Travel" is on a space available (i.e. standby) basis only. The travel days north of Auckland (Auckland - Paihia - Cape Reinga) and Christchurch - Greymouth sector are not included. Photo ID must be presented to drivers, and all unlimited travel must be booked through email@example.com. If anyone is deemed to be abusing unlimited travel, they will be immediately removed from the bus and charged for any additional sectors used.
- Stray operates a hop-on hop-off service where you can "hop off" the bus at any overnight stop along the Stray route. You cannot hop off along the route of identified non-Stray run sectors, i.e. Paihia-Cape Reinga and Christchurch-Greymouth.
- Stray’s passes are valid for 12 months from the first day of travel. The pass must be activated within 12 months of purchase. You can hop on and hop off the Stray bus as often as you want, within this 12 month period.
- Failure to meet a reserved departure will result in the cancellation of that travel day. Any subsequent travel reservations will be left as open-dated, so you must re-book online to reserve your seats.
- Stray passes are only valid for the person whose name they were originally issued for and are non-transferrable. You will be ID checked.
- Cancellations: If you cancel your Pass a cancellation fee will apply. See Stray's cancellation policy.
- Changing a start date: If you purchased a Stray pass with 'travel anytime conditions’, you can change your start date to any available date within 12 months of the original booking. If you purchased a Pass on promotion for a specific travel date (or travel period) and wish to change to a start date outside of the promotional terms, you can do so provided it is within 12 months of the original purchase. If the rate of the new departure is more than the original rate paid, you will be required to pay the difference. If the rate of the new departure date is less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
- Changing to an alternative Pass: If you wish to change to an alternative Stray pass, you may do so provided the original booking and has been paid for in full. If you are upgrading to a higher value pass, you will be required to pay the difference. If you are downgrading to a lower value product, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
- Because of the nature of our product and the environment in which we operate, Stray retains the right to change fares, routes, destinations, activities, transport modes, number of departures days, and departure times without notice and at its discretion. Stray is not liable for unforeseen circumstances beyond our control such as extreme weather, road closures, third party service changes or mechanical failure. No refunds will be given in these circumstances.
- Stray is not a common carrier and therefore can refuse to carry a person whose behaviour is detrimental to the enjoyment of the group. By travelling with Stray you agree to accept the authority of the driver/guide and accept their decisions. Our staff are entitled to a safe working environment and our passengers to a great holiday. Any threats to safety, being physical or verbal, or inappropriate behaviour may result in removal from the trip. If a guide requires a passenger to leave the trip no refunds will be given and the passenger in question will be responsible for their own travel costs from that point.
- Travel agent coupons/vouchers must be exchanged for the correct Stray ticket for your travel sectors. You can rebook sectors online via our Passenger Login (located at the top of page). Sector bookings need to be made before 5pm on the day prior to departure.
- Stray will endeavour to adhere to published departure, arrival and general travel times, but will not be liable for any failure to meet those times.
- Stray will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of, or consequential upon, directly or indirectly, any abandonment or delay in any departure howsoever caused.
- While all care will be taken, Stray will not be held liable for any sickness or injury to any customer or any damage or loss of any property while they are utilising any of the services which Stray provides or markets.
- When the services of another operator are provided for in a pass, it is agreed and understood that Stray is acting only as an agent for the passengers and accepts no responsibility for any default of the operator.
- Fuel. We have got fuel efficient buses to minimise our consumption but we reserve the right to put in place a fuel surcharge (at any time post ticket purchase) if fuel prices increase significantly during the pricing validity. Any surcharge will be payable to the driver on your first day of travel. It will be a maximum of $30 and will be clearly outlined on this website if initiated.
- These terms and conditions apply to the extent that they are NOT inconsistent with, or in contravention of, any obligation imposed on Stray by New Zealand Law.
- Where a new brochure has been published (as shown by the validity date) it supersedes all older brochures.
- Disputes. Should you wish to raise any issues with your trip, please in the first instance advise your driver/guide of your concern. If your issue is not resolved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to enable us to research your concern. We will not consider claims that are submitted 28 days after the dispute in question.
- There is no travel insurance cover included in the price of a Stray pass. Stray strongly recommends that you take insurance to cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, personal baggage, money and public liability. We do not take responsibility for any personal possessions lost under any circumstances. Our preferred insurance provide is World Nomads Travel Insurance.
- Water safety. During your Stray trip there are options to be involved in swimming or water based activities independent of Stray Limited and its partners. It is the passenger’s sole responsibility to determine if he or she is qualified and capable of participating in any water activity, and he or she chooses to participate at their own discretion.
- Anything listed in the brochure as free is not considered included in the ticket price as it is free, non-refundable and non-transferable, no matter what the circumstances.
- Children: Our NZ travel products are not suited to children under 7 years. 7 – 17 year old's may travel if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. They are entitled to a 15% discount off the full retail price of Stray Journeys and 25% off the full retail price of Hop on Hop off travel passes based on their age at the time of commencing travel (not booking).
- If you travel on Stray you consent to Stray using images of you taken whilst on your Stray trip for advertising and promotional purposes worldwide, royalty-free in any medium. Make your mum proud and become a Stray supermodel!
- Deposit payments: A deposit of 15% of the total pass value is paid to secure the initial booking. Full payment is required within 6 months of the booking or a minimum of 14+ days prior to departure (whichever comes first). Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable. If the full payment is not received in the designated time frame, Stray reserves the right to release any existing booking.
Hold My Seat: A payment of $10 is paid to secure the initial booking. Full payment is required within 72 hours of the booking or a minimum of 48 hours prior to departure (whichever comes first). The $10 payment is non-refundable and non-transferable. If the full payment is not received in the designated time frame, Stray will release the booking.If your booking is cancelled or expires, a member of our team will email you to confirm your trip has been cancelled.
- General competition terms: Stray hop-on hop-off passes included as part of a competition or prize pack cannot be exchanged for cash, sold or transferred to another person. Passes must be redeemed within 12 months of announcement or forfeited. These generic terms apply unless a variation is specified in the competition's terms.
- Promotions with value-adds: A value added product (which could be a tour, pass, accommodation, activity or good) is a product which is included free of charge with the purchase of another Stray product. Value-added products cannot be sold, transferred into another travellers name, exchanged for a refund or an alternative product. If a traveller is unable to redeem the value-add product within 12 months of the original purchase it is forfeited. Once travel has commenced with Stray, standard cancellation terms apply and neither of the bundled products is subject to a refund. If the promotion has bespoke terms or conditions for a value-added offer (e.g. travel date restrictions) these will supersede our standard conditions.
All itineraries may vary and/or attractions may be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes and national park requirements.
Stray Journeys is operated by Stray Ltd. All prices are in NZD and are inclusive of 15% GST.
Prices listed on our website are rounded. The final amount charged may be +/- 0.5 cents of the advertised price.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR TRIPS?
Transport with a driver/guide as outlined in your trip map. Meals as stipulated on your selected itinerary (B) = Breakfast, (L) = Lunch and (D) = Dinner.
Note: We can cater for vegetarians and other dietary requirements on request but must be informed at the time of booking. Accommodation at each overnight stop – none of our trips include the last night’s accommodation in our final overnight destination. Ferry transfers (southbound) and scenic flight (northbound) between the North and South Island are included on applicable tours. Tongariro National Park concession and Abel Tasman National Park boat transfers are included where applicable.
DO I NEED TO RECONFIRM MY TOUR?
Please reconfirm your trip and central pick-up location by calling our Auckland office on +64 (0) 9 526 2149 or by emailing us at email@example.com 48 hours prior to your departure. This will allow us to confirm your pick-up time and let you know of any important information relating to your trip
Travel Insurance is not included with our tours. We strongly recommend that passengers have their own insurance to cover against illness, injury, loss/damage to personal belongings and inability to travel on the confirmed departure date.
Our preferred insurance provide is World Nomads Travel insurance which is available to people from over 140 countries. It’s designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and a range of adventure sports and activities.
Our NZ travel products are not suited to children under 7 years. 7 – 17 year old's may travel if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. They are entitled to a 15% discount off the full retail price of Stray Journeys based on their age at the time of commencing travel (not booking).
LUGGAGE AND BELONGINGS
Our vehicles have limited space so please limit luggage to one backpack, bag or case per person with a maximum weight of 15kgs. In addition, we suggest a day pack for cameras, valuables, raincoats and items you will need to access throughout the day. Stray Journeys cannot under any circumstances take any responsibility for any personal effects. We advise that all passengers bring with them all items listed in the "what to bring" section.
Whilst we make every effort to safeguard our clients, we can not be held responsible for personal injury or sickness to any customer or damage or loss of property while they are utilising the services of Stray Journeys. We also take no responsibility for any act of neglect by any company whose services are used as part of your trip including but not limited to activity and accommodation providers.
CONDITIONS OF TRAVEL
Stray Journeys reserves the right to alter the route or itinerary of any of its tours and arrange alternative carriers to those advertised if necessary.
No refunds will be given in these circumstances or in the event of any delay, curtailment or alteration of a trip resulting from any cause including severe weather conditions or mechanical failure. A minimum number of passengers is required to operate each tour. It may therefore be necessary to cancel a scheduled departure and to offer an alternative or full refund for that tour. Stray Journeys cannot guarantee pick up or drop off times and is not liable for passenger failure to connect with other services or any costs associated in such delays. Components of our trip are weather dependent and we cannot be held liable if they are not available on the day of travel.
Linen is provided free of charge at all overnight stops. The twin/double upgrade option is valid for two people booking and travelling together. Single travellers wanting upgrade accommodation must pay a single supplement and cannot be paired with another single traveller.
If booking an accommodation upgrade, please note that most accommodation in the Coromandel (Hahei) and Doubtful Sound is quad share. Upgrades are limited and so are not included in the upgrade price. If available you can upgrade on arrival and pay directly. The cultural overnight Marae stay is group accommodation in one single room called Wharanui (Maori meeting house).
DOUBTFUL SOUND OVERNIGHT CRUISE
This overnight cruise operates through the months September to April inclusive. Outside these months this trip is substituted with a day cruise on Doubtful Sound, a night in Te Anau and a guided half day glacier hike. If for any reason the Doubtful Sound overnight trip is not available through circumstances beyond our control, you will be offered the Doubtful Sound day trip as an alternative.
Stray Journeys is not a common carrier and therefore can refuse to carry a person whose behaviour is detrimental to the enjoyment of the group.
By travelling with Stray Journeys, you agree to accept the authority of the guide and accept their decisions. Our staff are entitled to a safe working environment and our passengers to a great holiday. Any threats to safety, being physical or verbal, or inappropriate behaviour may result in removal from the trip. If a guide requires a passenger to leave the trip, no refunds will be given and that passenger will be responsible for their own travel costs from that point.
We reserve the right to impose a fuel surcharge should the fuel price increase following pricing/brochure release. This will be at a maximum of $20 per person per tour and payable on tour dispatch.
HOW FIT DO I HAVE TO BE?
Our tours are active so a reasonable amount of fitness is required. We undertake walks throughout the day of 2-3 hours. We offer optional hikes of up to 17kms or 8 hours. If you enjoy hiking, swimming in natural areas and getting out in the natural environment then this is for you. If you have any concerns regarding your suitability for any of our tours, please discuss this with our reservations staff before booking.
Should you wish to raise any issues about your trip – please in the first instance advise your driver guide of your concern. If your issue is not resolved, please write to our Auckland office as soon as reasonably possible, and within 28 days to enable us to research your concern. We will not consider claims made after 28 days. Please supply a postal address if you are emailing us so we can provide a written response.
Itineraries are correct at the time of printing. Occasionally our itineraries change as we make improvements in our product based on customer research, or there are changes in the offerings from operators we use. If we are unable to utilize a product, service or activity detailed in our itinerary, a suitable alternative will be offered where possible.
CHANGE DATE/TOUR TYPE:
If you wish to change your tour start date (or change to an alternative tour), you may do so provided the request is placed at least 14+ days out from when your tour is due to depart and paid in full. Subject to availability, you may change to an alternative date or tour, provided the new departure is within 12 months of your original booking. If the rate of the new departure costs more than the original, you will be required to pay the difference. If the rate of the new departure cost less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking. Upgrades are subject to availability and not guaranteed. If an upgrade is not available on the new departure date this portion may be refunded at Stray’s discretion.
PROMOTIONS WITH VALUE-ADDs:
A value-added product (which could be a tour, pass, accommodation, activity or good) is a product which is included free of charge with the purchase of another Stray product. Value-added products cannot be sold, transferred into another travellers name, exchanged for a refund or an alternative product. If a traveller is unable to redeem the value-add product within the specified time frame will be void/forfeited. Once travel has commenced, Stray's standard cancellation policy applies and neither of the bundled products are subject to a refund. If a promotion has bespoke terms or conditions for a value-added offer (e.g. travel date restrictions) these will supersede our standard conditions.
A deposit of 15% of the total pass value is required upon booking. Full payment is required within 6months of the booking or a minimum of 14+ days prior to departure (whichever comes first). Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable. If the full payment is not received in the designated time frame, Stray reserves the right to release any existing booking. Find out more
For Stray Hop-on Hop-off travel passes, Stray Journeys and Stray Adventures.
Stray will charge the following fees in the event of booking cancellations:
- 8+ Days before departure (or open dated): 35% of fare
- 3-7 Days before departure: 50% of fare
- Less than 48 Hours: 100% of fare
Cancellations should be made with your original booking agent who may charge an additional fee. If you booked online please contact firstname.lastname@example.org