Terms and conditions for travel marketed by, and travel with, Stray Ltd.
Standard Terms and Conditions
- These points make up all of the terms of contract between Stray Ltd (‘Stray’ or ‘us/we’) and the customer (‘passenger/you’).
- Prices: All prices are in NZD and are inclusive of 15% Goods and Services Tax. Prices listed on Stray's website may be rounded. The final amount charged may vary +/- $0.50 of the advertised price.
- Stray passes and tours are only valid for the person whose name they were originally issued for and are non-transferrable. Passengers can expect to be Photo ID checked.
- Behaviour: Stray is not a common carrier and therefore can refuse to carry a person whose behaviour is detrimental to the enjoyment of the group. By travelling with Stray you agree to accept the authority of the Driver Guide and accept their decisions. Our staff are entitled to a safe working environment and our passengers to a great experience. Any threats to safety, being physical or verbal, or inappropriate behaviour may result in removal from the trip. If a Driver Guide requires a passenger to leave the trip no refunds will be given and the passenger in question will be responsible for their own travel costs from that point.
- Published information: Stray will endeavour to adhere to published/stated departure, arrival and general travel times however on occasion, external and unpredictable events may prevent us from meeting these times. In these scenarios Stray is not liable for any loss or damage arising out of, or consequentially upon, any abandonment of, or delay in, any departure. We make a concerted effort to ensure the accuracy of our brochure, app and web content however on occasion details may vary. Liaise with your Driver Guide or Stray’s reservations team for clarification. Where a new brochure has been published (as shown by the validity date) it supersedes all older brochures. Anything listed in the brochure as free is not considered included in the ticket price and is non-refundable and non-transferable, no matter what the circumstances.
- Disruptions: Stray will not be held liable for unforeseen disruptions to your trip that are beyond our control (weather, natural disasters, third party service changes, etc). We will always endeavour to assist you but encourage you to take out a comprehensive travel insurance policy that will cover you for unforeseen disruptions, cancelling and cutting short your trip, delayed departures, accident and medical.
- Sickness & injury: While all care will be taken, Stray will not be held liable for any sickness or injury to any customer.
- Visas: It is the passenger’s responsibility to carry a valid passport and appropriate visas while travelling on any Stray services.
- Travel Insurance: Travel insurance is not included with Stray passes or tours. Stray strongly recommends that you take insurance to cover you foraccidents, injury, illness and death medical expenses, including any related to pre-existing medical conditions, emergency repatriation (including helicopter rescue and air ambulance where applicable) and personal liability. Stray also recommends that it covers cancellation, curtailment and loss of/damage to luggage and personal effects. We do not take responsibility for any personal possessions lost under any circumstances. Our preferred insurance provider is World Nomads Travel Insurance as a good backpacker travel option because they cover a range of activities and adventure sports.
- Where third party operator services are included in Stray's passes/tours, Stray will make every endeavour to ensure the operator meets their obligations in the delivery of the service. If the Operator fails to deliver on their obligations Stray will seek a fair and reasonable resolution, which may result in a partial or full refund. If the expected level of service or inclusions have been misrepresented by the ‘booking agent’, the passenger will need to address their concerns directly with their agent. Stray takes no responsibility for any act of neglect by any company whose services are used as part of your trip including but not limited to, activity and accommodation providers.
- Stray accepts no responsibility for any independently operated activity a passenger chooses to undertake while travelling with Stray.
- Illegal activity: If passengers are caught with non-prescription, illegal drugs or partaking in illegal activities while travelling with Stray, any resulting consequences (incarceration, capital punishment and even death) will result in the passengers Stray pass/tour being nullified (voided) without refund. Stray will refuse carriage and will take no responsibility for passengers partaking in illegal activities.
- Images and video: On occasion, Stray conducts photo and video projects for the purposes of promoting its products and services. Passengers on these trips will be given the option to opt out of any such activities. Passengers are to advise their Driver Guide should they wish to be excluded. If you do not opt out you are consenting to Stray using the images taken whilst on your Stray trip for advertising and promotional purposes worldwide, royalty-free in any medium.
- Deposit payments: A deposit of 20% of the total product value is required upon booking. Full payment is required within 6 months of the booking or a minimum of 14+ days prior to departure (whichever comes first). If the full payment is not received in the designated time frame, Stray reserves the right to release any existing booking. Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Promotions with free inclusions or value-adds: A value added product (which could be a pass, journey, accommodation, activity or good) is a product which is included free of charge with the purchase of another Stray product. Value-added products cannot be sold, transferred to another traveller’s name, exchanged for a refund or an alternative product. If a traveller is unable to redeem the value-add product within 12 months of the original purchase it is forfeited. Once travel has commenced, Stray's standard cancellation policy applies and neither of the bundled products is subject to a refund. If a promotion has bespoke terms or conditions for a free or value-added offer (e.g. travel date restrictions) these will supersede our standard conditions.
- Competitions and Prizes: Stray products included as part of a competition or prize pack cannot be exchanged for cash, sold or transferred. Products must be redeemed within 12 months of the announcement or within a specific time frame if stated in the competition/prize terms, or the prize will be forfeited. These generic terms apply unless a variation is specified in the competition's terms.
- Disputes: Should you wish to raise any issues regarding your trip, it is your responsibility to notify Stray as soon as possible so that we have every reasonable opportunity to resolve the issue.
- If you are currently travelling: Advise your Driver Guide of your concern immediately so that steps can be taken to address the matter. If you would prefer to contact Stray directly, email [email protected].
- If you have finished travelling: You must email [email protected] within 28 days of the dispute in question.
- Law: These terms and conditions apply to the extent that they are NOT inconsistent with, or in contravention of, any obligation imposed on Stray by New Zealand Law.
- Children: Stray travel products are not suited to children under 7 years old. Children aged 7 – 17 may travel, only if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Children are entitled to 25% off the full retail price of Freestyle Passes and 15% off the full retail price of Stray Journeys based on their age at the time of commencing travel (not booking).
- Luggage: Luggage must be limited to one backpack, bag or case per person with a maximum weight of 15kgs as our buses have limited storage space. You may also travel with a daypack for cameras, valuables, raincoats and items you will need to access throughout the day. Stray does not take any responsibility for any any damage to, or loss of, any property or personal effects under any circumstances while passengers are utilising any of the services which Stray provides or markets.
- Fuel: We have got fuel efficient buses to minimise our consumption but we reserve the right to put in place a fuel surcharge (at any time post ticket purchase) if fuel prices increase significantly during the pricing validity. Any surcharge will be payable to your Driver Guide on your first day of travel. It will be a maximum of $30 NZD and will be clearly outlined online if initiated.
- Water safety: During your Stray trip there are options to be involved in swimming or water based activities independent of Stray and its partners. It is the passenger’s sole responsibility to determine if he or she is qualified and capable of participating in any water activity, and he or she chooses to participate at their own discretion.
- Fitness: Our tours are active so a reasonable amount of fitness is required. We undertake walks throughout the day to break up travel days. If you have any concerns regarding your suitability for any of our tours, please discuss this with our reservations staff before booking.
Stray’s standard terms and conditions outlined above apply. The below terms are in addition to our standard terms and unique to Freestyle Passes.
- Validity: Stray’s Freestyle Passes are valid for 12 months from the first day of travel (subject to any normal visa restrictions). The pass must be activated within 12 months of purchase. You can hop on and hop off the Stray bus as often as you want, within this 12 month period.
- Unlimited Travel: You can re-travel most sectors of your Freestyle pass within 12 months of your first date of travel. Re-travel Exclusions: All sectors north of Auckland (Auckland > Paihia > Cape Reinga > Paihia > Auckland), the 'Christchurch - Greymouth' sector and the 'Rotorua to Auckland' sector (included in the Jerry & Jerry Hopper Pass) are excluded from re-travel. Re-travel must be booked through [email protected] and cannot be booked in the 'Stray Mate’ app. Retravel is offered on a ‘space available’ basis (i.e. standby) and first-time travellers are prioritised. On the day you will need to present photo ID to your Driver. Anyone deemed to be abusing Stray’s travel policies will be immediately removed from the bus and charged for any unauthorised travel.
- Hopping off: You can "hop off" the bus at any overnight stop along the Stray route. You cannot hop off along the route of sectors run by third party operators: i.e. Paihia-Cape Reinga, Rotorua-Auckland and Christchurch-Greymouth.
- Failure to meet a reserved departure will result in the cancellation of your booking on that travel day and any subsequent booked travel dates. You must re-book your travel in the app to reserve your seat.
- Third Party Sectors: ''Paihia - Cape Reinga' ‘Rotorua - Auckland’ and 'Christchurch - Greymouth’ are operated by third party operators. Cape Reinga Day Trip (operated by Great Sights): Bookings must be finalised by 11am on the day prior to travel. Christchurch to Greymouth (operated by Atomic Shuttle): Bookings must be finalised 48 hours prior to travel so a ticket can be issued. Christchurch to Greymouth (operated by Tranzalpine Scenic Train): Bookings must be finalised 72 hours prior to travel so a ticket can be issued. Rotorua - Auckland (operated by Intercity): Bookings can be changed up to 2 hours before departure. If you fail to meet these departures or change your booking after the allocated ‘cut-off’ time you will forfeit travel on this sector on this sector, and to rebook will be at your own expense
- Cancellations: If you cancel your pass a cancellation fee will apply. See Stray's cancellation policy.
- Changing a start date: If you purchased a Stray pass with 'travel anytime conditions’, you can change your start date to any available date within 12 months of the original booking. If you purchased a pass on promotion for a specific travel date (or travel period) and wish to change to a start date outside of the promotional terms, you can do so provided it is within 12 months of the original purchase. If the rate of the new departure is more than the original rate paid, you will be required to pay the difference. If the rate of the new departure date is less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
- Changing to an alternative pass: If you wish to change to an alternative Stray pass, you may do so provided the original booking and has been paid for in full. If you are upgrading to a higher value pass, you will be required to pay the difference. If you are downgrading to a lower value product, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
- Itinerary changes: Stray may vary routes, activities, transport modes, number of departure days, departure times at its discretion – due to the nature of our product and the environment within which we operate. However if Stray cancels a trip departure or part-thereof, the customer will be offered an alternative option or alternative travel date. If the alternative does not suit the passenger a refund will be made available (or pro-rata if only a portion of a trip is cancelled). If a trip is cancelled due to an external event outside of Stray’s control (extreme weather, natural disaster, political unrest etc.) an alternative date will be offered otherwise standard cancellation fees apply. Travel insurance is recommended to travel with Stray and customers should ensure their policy covers them for protection against unpredictable events.
- Accommodation with children (7-17 years): The parent or legal guardian will need to contact the accommodations at each destination prior to travel in order to make accommodation arrangements. You can find a list of Stray's accommodations here or you are welcome to find your own. Please note, most accommodations will ask that the child and parent/guardian book a private room
Stray’s standard terms and conditions outlined above apply. The below terms are in addition to our standard terms and unique to Journeys.
- Itinerary changes: Stray may vary itineraries, activities and transport modes at its discretion – due to the nature of our product and the environment within which we operate. However if Stray cancels a trip departure or part-thereof, the customer will be offered an alternative option or alternative travel date. If the alternative does not suit the passenger a refund will be made available (or pro-rata if only a portion of a trip is cancelled). If a trip is cancelled due to an external event outside of Stray’s control (extreme weather, natural disaster, political unrest etc.) an alternative date will be offered otherwise standard cancellation fees apply. Travel insurance is recommended to travel with Stray and customers should ensure their policy covers them for protection against unpredictable events.
- Included: Transport (including between the North and South island where applicable), Driver Guide, accommodation, activities and meals as specified in the itinerary. Meals are stipulated on your selected itinerary: (B) = Breakfast, (L) = Lunch and (D) = Dinner.
- Dietary requirements and allergies: Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so they can be catered to where possible.
- Accommodation: Accommodation is included at each overnight stop – none of our trips include the last night’s accommodation in our final destination. Linen is provided free of charge at all overnight stops. Upgrades to a private room are limited but may be available upon request. En-suite rooms are not guaranteed with upgrades. The Twin/Double upgrade option is valid for two people booking and travelling together. Single travellers wanting upgrade accommodation must pay a single supplement and cannot be paired with another single traveller. If booking an accommodation upgrade, please note that most accommodation in the Coromandel (Hahei) and Doubtful Sound is quad share.
- Reconfirm your departure: Please reconfirm your departure date and pick-up location by calling our Auckland office on +64 (0) 9 526 2149 or by emailing us at [email protected] 48 hours prior to your departure. This will allow us to confirm your pick-up time and let you know of any important information relating to your trip.
- Accommodation with Children: Any person or group travelling with a child or children (aged 7-17) is required to upgrade their Stray Journeys booking to a private room to ensure they are not sharing a room with others guests. This is for the safety and comfort of both parties.
- Changing a start date: Changes are permitted up to 14 days prior to the original date of departure, providing your tour is paid for in full. The new requested departure date is subject to availability and must be within 12 months of your original booking. If the rate of the new departure costs more than the original, you will be required to pay the difference. If the rate of the new departure cost less, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking. Upgrades to twin/single rooms are subject to availability and not guaranteed. If an upgrade is not available on the new departure date this portion may be refunded at Stray’s discretion.
- Changing to an alternative Journey: If you wish to change to an alternative Stray Journey, you may do so provided the original booking and has been paid for in full. If you are upgrading to a higher value pass, you will be required to pay the difference. If you are downgrading to a lower value product, any due rebate would be calculated as the difference less the applicable cancellation fee on the original booking.
- Minimum numbers: Departures require a minimum number of passengers to operate. In circumstances where minimum numbers are not reached an alternative departure date will be offered or a full refund. Passengers will be notified by email at least 48 hours in advance of such changes.
- Cancellations: If you cancel your Journey a cancellation fee will apply. Strays Cancellation Policy
Stray Chinese Tours
For terms and conditions of Chinese tours, please refer to Chinese tours Ts & Cs page.
Stray’s standard terms and conditions outlined above apply. The below terms are in addition to our standard terms and unique to the Auckland Arrival Pack.
Auckland Arrival Pack
- Includes: 2 nights' accommodation in a 6-8 dorm for Nomads Hostel - Auckland.
- Voucher: You'll receive a booking confirmation voucher with a unique booking number (CFM#).
- Upgrades: If you would like to upgrade to a private room (subject to availability) you can pay the difference to Nomads directly. A credit card may be required to guarantee an upgraded bed option.
- Date Changes: Contact Nomads Auckland directly with your Booking Number to request a date change. Changes are subject to availability. A minimum of 48 hours notice is required.
- No-shows and cancellations: Within 24 hours of check-in will be charged.
Standard Cancellation Policy applies for: Stray Freestyle Passes, Stray Journeys and the Blue Duck Adventure.
Stray will charge the following fees in the event of booking cancellations
- 8+ Days before departure (or open dated): 20% of fare will be charged 8+ days before departure.
- 3-7 Days before departure: 50% of fare
- Less than 48 Hours: 100% of fare - passes/tours are non-refundable and non-transferable
Cancellations should be made with your original booking agent who may charge an additional fee. If you booked online please contact [email protected]