The bold and friendly Galah will take you on an 8-day tour of the East Coast starting off the weekend in chilled out Byron Bay (pick-up is available from Brisbane) and travelling down to vibrant Sydney! The Galah is the most common of the Australian native Cockatoo family and is a familiar sight (and sound) in the wild so we can almost promise you will see them on this tour, along with lush rainforests, gorgeous beaches, other wildlife and a few secret highlights that only us locals know about. You’ll travel with a local guide (and get their insider knowledge) and a bunch of like-minded travellers (your new lifelong friends) and explore some of the amazing places Aussie has to offer!
Only Stray travels by private, air-conditioned bus all the way from Brisbane to Sydney, with a maximum of 20 onboard for comfort, safety and flexibility. It also means we can see and do more along the way!
So much more than just your tour guide - expect entertaining anecdotes, great recommendations, extra support and local insider knowledge. They know every inch of this country. You can't get this from a google search!
7 nights twin/double accommodation including 5 nights 3-4 star hotel and resort accommodation, 2 nights in cabins/villas
4 meals included - 3 Breakfasts, 1 Dinner
Top Rated Experiences
Stunning beaches, amazing culture, wine tasting, walks and wildlife spotting! There are so many awesome inclusions with the Stray Galah Brisbane to Sydney tour and we can’t wait for you to experience them:
- Check out the Gold Coast with a stop in Surfers Paradise before arriving in laid-back Byron Bay for the weekend.
- Connect and gain an understanding of the incredible Aboriginal Culture through a bush walk and cultural experience.
- Stay in cabins/villas at a beachside holiday resort on the beautiful Coffs Coast while watching the local kangaroos hop on by.
- Get a closer look at Australia's laziest (and cutest) marsupials at the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital.
- Stop for a brewery tasting tour then snap the amazing views and beaches in and around Port Stephens.
- Discover your inner wine connoisseur at Hunter Valley and taste award-winning samples fresh from the organic vineyard along with some local cheeses.
- Finish the tour in the harbour city of Sydney with a farewell dinner and night included in a convenient central city hotel.
2024 Tour Dates
- 8 March - GUARANTEED
- 22 March - GUARANTEED
- 10 May
- 13 September
- 18 October
- 15 November
- 29 November
2025 Tour Dates
- 7 February
- 21 February
- 7 March
- 21 March
- 4 April
What we're all about...
Stray are the experts in taking you off the beaten track.
We’re all about finding one-of-a-kind experiences and immersing you in the REAL Australia.
Our epic driver guides will ensure you get the most out of your trip.
Tick off your East Coast bucket list with ease and be introduced to places you wouldn’t discover on your own.
Travel is about creating lasting connections and sharing experiences.
Stray travellers are open minded adventurers who make the most of every moment.
We aim to leave Australia better than we found it, supporting local communities and protecting our environment.
Travel with us and together we can make a positive change.
Brisbane to Sydney: Galah Tour
Brisbane Pick up Info
Pick up from the Ann Street Bus Stop 9 near King George Square, Brisbane CBD at 12pm on Friday (please arrive 10 minutes prior to the time). This bus stop is also close to Central Station.
Please contact us if you would prefer to meet your group at our accommodation in Byron Bay rather than being picked up in Brisbane.
DOWNLOAD FULL ITINERARY HERE
Today you’ll board the Stray bus in central Brisbane at 12pm, meet your new guide and travel buddies and head off towards Byron Bay, stopping along the way to check out the Gold Coast. We’ll stretch our legs in Surfers Paradise where you can explore the golden beaches and cafes before arriving ready for the weekend in the iconic Byron Bay!
Today you have a full day in Byron Bay to really embrace the Byron Bay motto: "cheer up, slow down, and chill out”. Start your day off with a morning swim in the ocean then spend your day exploring the laidback hippy town.
Walk up to Cape Byron Lighthouse, mainland Australia’s most easterly point, or check out the many eclectic boutiques and cafes around town. If you’re looking for adventure, join a sea kayaking or snorkel trip and search for dolphins and other marine life, or even go for an iconic Australian activity - learning to surf.
Enjoy a bit more of Byron Bay this morning until we make our way further south to the super scenic Coffs Coast. On the way there, we’ll stop in the picturesque seaside town of Yamba for lunch. We'll also visit the Angourie Blue Pool, an old quarry that was accidentally filled by an underground spring, meaning you can now cool off in a freshwater pool right on the beach.
For the next two nights we’re staying in villas at a beachfront holiday resort set amongst 110-acres of beachside rainforest, so it’s the best of both worlds. Jump in the pool, take a heated spa, grab a cocktail at the bar or head to the beach. Feeling active? Go for a bike ride, a spot of archery or nine holes of golf if you fancy it.
Today we’ll have a relaxed morning followed by a stop in Coffs Harbour for lunch and then a special Aboriginal experience learning about the First Nations people of Australia.
Your Cultural Experience takes place at an important cultural site of the Gumbaynggirr people, the stunning location of Niigi Niigi (Sealy Lookout) within the Orara East State Forest. You’ll go for a 2-hour tour and see 360-degree views, as well as getting the opportunity to immerse yourself in culture through stories, songs, language and the uses of native plants. This will be an unforgettable cultural experience with an emphasis on authentic connection and contributing to helping a community regain their culture and identity.
Do More: By taking part in the experience, you’re making a direct contribution to the revitalisation of Gumbaynggirr language and culture with a percentage of the tour price going towards the local bilingual school to help foster cultural identity and education success.
We’ll depart Darlington Beach this morning and make a stop at the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital to see the amazing work being done to protect koalas from loss of habitat and injury. On the way into Port Stephens we’ll stop at Murray’s Brewery, one of Australia's leading craft beer brewers, where we’ll enjoy a tour and beer tasting. Not into beer? Not to worry, there is a spritz, ginger beer and a gin drink to try out instead.
This morning you have the choice to sleep in, go for some first-class sandboarding down the Stockton Sand Dunes (optional expense), or join your Stray guide for an energising hike to the summit of Tomaree Head, which stands at 161 metres above the Port Stephens entrance. This short 2.2km return track offers breathtaking views of the coastline and panoramic views of Yacaaba Head, Cabbage Tree and Boondelbah islands- you might even be lucky enough to see some dolphins.
In the afternoon spend some time relaxing at the resort pool (one of the largest in Australia) or jump on a Dolphin discovery cruise (optional expense).
Today we head to Sydney, our final destination! Along the way, we’ll stop at the popular Hunter Valley wine region for a tour of an organic vineyard. Learn about how through years of research and development, they have become one of Australia's largest producers of award-winning organic, vegan-friendly, and no added sulphur wines. Their contemporary organic philosophy aims to produce wines of terroir while limiting environmental pollution and leaving the land in the best condition possible for generations to follow. And of course, after the tour sit down to a wine tasting with cheese and crackers.
On arrival in the beautiful harbour city of Sydney, we’ll check in then head to a nearby restaurant for dinner and drinks to celebrate our last night on tour and say some emotional farewells to our group!
Today is the final day of your Stray adventure. Give a hug or a wave to your new mates and head off for the next leg of your adventure, taking with you the most incredible memories, everything you’ve learned about Australia’s special culture and wildlife, and of course some classic Aussie lingo - G’DAY MATES!
Brisbane to Sydney: Galah Tour
All accommodation rooms are twin/double share and include a private ensuite or bathroom. The exception is your accommodation at Darlington Beach Holiday Park (Coffs Harbour) where you stay in villas with bathrooms that are shared between up to 4 people.
If you are travelling by yourself, you will be paired with another traveller of the same gender to share a room (unless you purchase a solo upgrade).
Scroll through the gallery to see some of the places you'll stay:
You can choose to upgrade your accommodation to a solo occupied private room (subject to availability).
- Single Room: +$700
Please email us to check availability before your booking: [email protected]
Need to Know
- Trip starts: Pick up is at Ann Street Bus Stop 9 near King George Square, Brisbane at 12noon on Friday. You can also choose to meet the group at our accommodation in Byron Bay.
- Trip ends: This tour ends in Sydney on a Friday after checking out of Vibe Hotel Darling Harbour by 10am.
- Transport: Travel by private Stray bus
- Included meals: Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so that they can be catered to where possible.
- Guides: Your Guide is your Bus Driver, Activity Organiser, Tour Guide, and friend. They’re always on hand to give you travel trips, advice and any help you need.
- Stray Travellers: Find your tribe and make meaningful connections with travellers from all over the world. The majority of our passengers are aged between 31-55 but there is no age limit! You just need to be reasonably fit and be young at heart!
- Covid Safety Measures: To minimise risk to our travellers, staff and operators we will be doing everything we can to reduce the risk of transmission and we will be playing it safe with safety measures such as regular bus cleaning and disinfecting, hand sanitiser on the bus.
If you would like a copy of our full WorkSafe COVID-19 Safety Plan, please email at [email protected]
- Payment Options: If you'd like to secure your place on the trip, but are a little bit short on cash, you can reserve a seat with a $200 deposit. Click 'Book Your Travel' and choose the deposit option in checkout. You then have 6 months to pay it off - too easy! Better yet - there's no admin fee. You can make payments when it suits you using our Extra Payments page. You just need to have paid for your trip in full 31 days before you start your travels.