Terms and Conditions
How it works » Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions for travel passes marketed by, and travel with, Stray Ltd.
- The points on this website make up all of the terms of contract between Stray Ltd (‘Stray’) and the customer.
- Stray's passes are valid for travel once in one direction for the route identified, only except with 'unlimited travel' where you can re-travel certain sectors see point #3.
- Unlimited Travel is on a space available (i.e standby) basis only. The travel days north of Auckland (Auckland - Paihia - Cape Reinga), Christchurch - Franz Josef, plus the Go East sectors are not included. Photo ID must be presented to drivers, and all unlimited travel must be booked through firstname.lastname@example.org. If anyone is found on the bus abusing unlimited travel, they will be immediately removed from the bus and liable for any sectors used.
- Stray operates a hop-on hop-off service where you can hop off the bus at any overnight stop of anywhere along the Stray route as many times as you like. You cannot hop off along the route on non-Stray run sectors i.e. north of Paihia, and on the Christchurch to Greymouth sector.
- Stray’s passes are valid for 12 months from the first day of travel. The pass must be activated within 12 months of purchase. You can hop on and hop off the Stray bus as often as you want and as long as you want, within this 12 month period. You cannot hop off the bus on non-Stray run sectors i.e. north of Paihia on Dune Rider, and from Christchurch to Greymouth when you're on Atomic Shuttle or the Tranzalpine train.
- Failure to meet a reserved departure will result in the cancellation of that travel day. Any subsequent travel reservations will be left as open-dated, so you must re-book online to reserve your seats.
- Stray passes are only valid for the person whose name they were originally issued for and are non-transferrable. You will be ID checked.
- Cancellation. For cancellation of open dated passes or 48 hours outside a confirmed departure date the fee is 35%. Within 48 hours of a confirmed departure date the fee is 50%. After you have commenced travel, passes are non-refundable or transferable.
- Stray may vary any fares, routes, destinations, activities, transport modes, number of departures days, departure times, without notice and at its discretion - because of the nature of our product and the environment in which we operate.
- Stray is not a common carrier and therefore can refuse to carry a person whose behavior is detrimental to the enjoyment of the group. By travelling with Stray you agree to accept the authority of the driver/guide and accept their decisions. Our staff are entitled to a safe working environment and our passengers to a great holiday. Any threats to safety, being physical or verbal, or inappropriate behaviour may result in removal from the trip. If a guide requires a passenger to leave the trip no refunds will be given and that passenger will be responsible for their own travel costs from that point.
- Travel agent coupons/vouchers must be exchanged for the correct Stray ticket for your travel sectors. You can rebook sectors online via our travellers' login (located at top right of page). Sector bookings need to be made before 5pm on the day prior to departure to show on drivers’ lists.
- Stray will endeavour to adhere to published/stated departure, arrival and general travel times but sometimes we end up doing other stuff so will not be liable for any failure to meet those times.
- Stray will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of or consequential upon, directly or indirectly, any abandonment of, or delay in, any departure howsoever caused.
- While all care will be taken, Stray will not be held liable for any sickness or injury to any customer or any damage to or loss of any property while they are utilising any of the services which Stray provides or markets.
- Where the services of another operator are provided for in the “pass” it is agreed and understood that Stray is acting only as an agent for the passengers to arrange such services and accepts no responsibility what so ever for any default of the operator.
- Fuel – these are crazy times. We have got the most fuel efficient buses to minimize our use but we still reserve the right to put in place a fuel surcharge in addition to the pass price (at any time post ticket purchase) if fuel prices increase significantly during the pricing validity. Any surcharge will be payable to the driver on your first day of travel. It will be a maximum of $30 and will be clearly outlined on this website if initiated.
- These terms and conditions apply to the extent that they are NOT inconsistent with or in contravention of any obligation imposed on Stray by New Zealand Law.
- Where a new brochure has been published (as shown by the validity date) it supercedes all older brochures.
- Disputes. Should you wish to raise any issues with your trip - please in the first instance advise your driver guide of your concern. If your issue is not resolved, please email email@example.com as soon as reasonably possible, and within 28 days to enable us to research your concern. We will not consider claims after 28 days. Please supply a postal address if you are emailing us so we can provide a written response.
- There is no travel insurance cover included in the price of a Stray pass. Stray strongly recommends that you take some out to cover for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, personal baggage, money and public liability. We do not take responsibility for any personal possessions under any circumstances however caused. World Nomads travel insurance is a reputable option (it's Lonely Planet's recommended provider) - for more info, click here.
- The free glass bottomed boat trip (Nov-April) and the free dorm accommodation/BBQ (May-October 2012) on the Stray Jack and Patch passes must be used on your first day of travel (Auckland to Paihia sector). The boat trip and accommodation are non-refundable or transferable. Anything listed in the brochure as free is not included in the ticket price as it is FREE and non-refundable or transferable, no matter what the circumstances.
- Stray operates an adventurous product and is not suitable for children under the age of 5 years old. Children aged 5 -16 years of age may travel if accompanied with an adult and must be restrained with a seatbelt or an approved childseat. They are entitled to a 25% discount off the full retail price. Travellers aged 16-17 can travel unaccompanied if they have a signed parent/guardian consent form (Please contact Stray Reservations firstname.lastname@example.org for a consent form).
- If you travel on Stray you consent to us using images of you taken whole on your Stray trip for advertising and promotional purposes worldwide, royalty-free in any medium. Make your mum proud and become a Stray supermodel!
- All Blacks, world champions. Enough said.