Our Stu Freestyle Tour (16+ days) will send you up the coast from Brisbane to Cairns, stopping off at backpacker favourites like Magnetic Island. He’ll also show you some unreal secret spots!
Take the pressure off, kick back, relax and let someone else organise your transport. You'll be travelling up the coast on a mix of our Stray buses, comfortable trains and ferry.
More than just a tour guide - expect entertaining commentary, extra support and local secrets.
Explore the best of Queensland, including some off-the-beaten-track destinations that make Stray stand out from the crowd. You can see them marked with a heart on the map because they're the places our travellers love.
View your itinerary and book accommodation and activities on-the-go. Flexibility at it's finest!
16 nights included - 11 nights' shared (4-10 bed) dorm accommodation, 1 overnight train, 1 overnight boat cruise and 3 nights camping.
16 meals included - 4 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 6 dinners. (Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so they can be catered to where possible)
Top rated activities
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
- 3-Day / 2-Night Fraser Island 4WD tagalong tour
- Great Keppel Island Adventure at Emu Park
- Airlie Orientation and Guided Rainforest Walk
- 2 Day/1 Night Whitsunday Sailing Tour
- Forts Complex Walk and/or Radical Bay Walking Tour at Magnetic Island
- Tully Gorge National Park Rainforest
- All National Park Fees
Choose your start date
Depending on which start date you choose, your accommodation inclusions will vary.
Let us know your preference in the checkout.
- If you start on Tuesday you'll get... More time in Rainbow Beach
- If you start on Saturday you'll get... More time in Magnetic Island
Brisbane > Cairns: Stu Freestyle Tour
The number of nights in each destination varies slightly depending on the departure you choose to align to the train timetable. Click here to see the full Stu Freestyle Tour Timetable.
Since keeping it flexible is what we do best, no matter which departure you choose, and how many times you hop on and off, you'll be covered for 16 nights' accommodation in total for the nights you're on the tour - just keep in touch with us ([email protected]) and we'll book your included nights for you as you go.
Brisbane > Cairns: Stu Freestyle Tour
16 nights' accommodation are included in the price of your Stu Tour. We stay in hostels (mixed dorm rooms of up to 10 beds), lodges, campgrounds, cabins and overnight on a sailing ship in the Whitsundays! If you hop off you'll need to book your additional nights' accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
Scroll through the gallery to see some of the places you'll stay:
Need to Know
- Trip starts: Twice a week from Brisbane on Tuesday and Saturday.
- Transport: Travel by bus, train and ferry. All included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Included meals: Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so that they can be catered to where possible.
- Guides: Your Stray guide is your go-to for entertaining commentary, interesting facts, crazy stories and travel advice. Between Brisbane and Rainbow Beach, your Guide is also your Bus Driver. Between Rainbow Beach and Cairns, where we travel on the fast, comfortable trains, you'll have In-Location Guides who will meet you at the station and show you around.
- Stray Travellers: Find your tribe and make meaningful connections with travellers from all over the world. The majority of our passengers are aged between 20-35 but there is no age limit! 70% of our travellers are travelling solo.
- Hopping on/off: Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route for up to 12 months. To hop back on, simply book your next travel date and pickup location through our Stray Mate app.
- Minimum Days: You don't need to hop off on our Stu Freestyle Tour - you can travel your pass in the 16 "Minimum Days".
- Departures: Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Booking Buses: Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your transport in advance.
- Booking Accommodation: Your first nights' accommodation for each night of the itinerary is included (16 nights in total). Different start days have different accommodation inclusions. Hopping on and off the bus may alter your itinerary slightly (refer to Itinerary Tab) - please keep in touch with us ([email protected]) and we'll book your included nights accommodation for you as you go. You’ll still have the option to extend your stay in the places you enjoy most and can book and pay for additional accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
- Booking Activities: All included activities are open-dated, please contact Stray’s reservations team ([email protected]) at least 48 hours prior to arrival to confirm your bookings. For Fraser Island and Whitsunday Sailing trip bookings, we recommend booking at least 7 days in advance to guarantee your spot. Additional activities can be booked and paid for via the Stray Mate app.
- Extras: $20 cash insurance to be paid to Fraser Island company + $10 for sleeping bag/linen hire on Fraser Island. $30 for snorkel tour on Great Keppel Island.
- If travellers choose to hop-off and extend their stay in any location, all additional accommodation, meals and activities are at their own expense.
- In peak periods (e.g. Christmas/New Years, Easter, School Holidays/Events) some accommodation may be subject to an additional surcharge or minimum number of nights.
- Activities and accommodation are non-refundable once you start your Stray trip, any inclusions that you don't use are forfeited.