Our Mick Freestyle Tour (24+ days) takes you on an epic journey up the East Coast. From Sydney to Cairns, we’ll show you all the hot spots in between, plus some hidden gems!
Take the pressure off, kick back, relax and let someone else organise your transport. You'll be travelling up the coast on a mix of our Stray buses, comfortable trains and ferry.
More than just a tour guide - expect entertaining commentary, extra support and local secrets.
Explore ALL of Australia's East Coast, including some off-the-beaten-track destinations that make Stray stand out from the crowd. You can see them marked with a heart on the map because they're the places our travellers love.
View your itinerary and book accommodation and activities on-the-go. Flexibility at it's finest!
24 nights included - 19 nights' shared (4-10 bed) dorm accommodation, 1 overnight train, 1 overnight boat cruise and 3 nights camping.
22 meals included - 6 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 8 dinners.
Top rated activities
- Blue Mountains Day Trip
- Wine tasting Hunter Valley
- River tubing, Barrington Tops National Park
- Surf lesson, Spot X Surf Camp
- Koala hospital visit, Port Macquarie
- Kangaroo spotting, Emerald Beach
- Canoeing experience, River Retreat
- Angourie Blue Pools, Yamba
- Byron Bay orientation drive
- Nimbin Day Trip
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
- 3 Day / 2 Night Fraser Island
- Great Keppel Island Adventure at Emu Park
- Airlie Orientation and Guided Rainforest Walk
- 2 Day / 1 Night Whitsunday Sailing Adventure
- Forts Complex and/or Radical Bay Walking Tour at Magnetic Island
- Rainforest Experience
- All National Park Fees
Choose your start date
Depending on which start date you choose, your accommodation inclusions will vary.
Let us know your preference in the checkout.
- If you start on Monday you'll get... More time in Byron Bay & Rainbow Beach
- If you start on Friday you'll get... More time in Sydney & Magnetic Island
Sydney > Cairns: Mick Freestyle Tour
The number of nights in each destination varies slightly depending on the departure you choose to align to the train timetable. Click here to see the full Mick Freestyle Tour Timetable.
Since keeping it flexible is what we do best, no matter which departure you choose, and how many times you hop on and off, you'll be covered for 24 nights' accommodation in total for the nights you're on the tour - just keep in touch with us ([email protected]) and we'll book your included nights for you as you go.
Sydney > Cairns: Mick Freestyle Tour
24 nights' accommodation are included in the price of your Mick Tour. We stay in hostels (mixed dorm rooms of up to 10 beds), lodges, campgrounds, cabins and overnight on a sailing ship in the Whitsundays! If you hop off you'll need to book your additional nights' accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
Scroll through the gallery to see some of the places you'll stay:
Need to Know
- Trip starts: Twice a week from Sydney on Monday and Friday.
- Transport: Travel by bus, train and ferry. All included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Included meals: Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so that they can be catered to where possible.
- Guides: Your Stray guide is your go-to for entertaining commentary, interesting facts, crazy stories and travel advice. Between Sydney and Rainbow Beach, your Guide is also your Bus Driver. Between Rainbow Beach and Cairns, where we travel on the fast, comfortable trains, you'll have In-Location Guides who will meet you at the station and show you around.
- Stray Travellers: Find your tribe and make meaningful connections with travellers from all over the world. The majority of our passengers are aged between 20-35 but there is no age limit! 70% of our travellers are travelling solo.
- Hopping on/off: Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route for up to 12 months. To hop back on, simply book your next travel date and pickup location through our Stray Mate app.
- Minimum Days: You don't need to hop off on our Mick Freestyle Tour - you can travel your pass in the 24 "Minimum Days".
- Departures: Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Booking Buses: Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your transport in advance
- Booking Accommodation: Your first nights' accommodation for each night of the itinerary is included (24 nights in total). Different start days have different accommodation inclusions. Hopping on and off the bus may alter your itinerary slightly (refer to Itinerary Tab) - please keep in touch with us ([email protected]) and we'll book your included nights accommodation for you as you go. You’ll still have the option to extend your stay in the places you enjoy most and can book and pay for additional accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
- Booking Activities: All included activities are open-dated, please contact Stray’s reservations team ([email protected]) at least 48 hours prior to arrival to confirm your bookings. For Fraser Island and Whitsunday Sailing trip bookings, we recommend booking at least 7 days in advance to guarantee your spot. Additional activities can be booked and paid for via the Stray Mate app.
- Extras: $20 cash insurance to be paid to Fraser Island company + $10 for sleeping bag/linen hire on Fraser Island. $30 for snorkel tour on Great Keppel Island.
- Melbourne Express Sector: You can add a Melbourne > Sydney Express Sector to your pass by selecting it as an upgrade. Melbourne Express Sector is not a Stray-operated sector and is subject to availability. Once a travel date is confirmed this sector is non-refundable. Peak season surcharges may apply for travel over the Christmas and New Year period. If travellers want to travel during this time they will be notified before their booking is confirmed of any additional charges.
- If travellers choose to hop-off and extend their stay in any location, all additional accommodation, meals and activities are at their own expense.
- In peak periods (e.g. Christmas/New Years, Easter, School Holidays/Events) some accommodation may be subject to an additional surcharge or minimum number of nights.
- Activities and accommodation are non-refundable once you start your Stray trip, any inclusions that you don't use are forfeited.