Our Greg Freestyle Tour (10+ days) is here to guide you from Sydney to Brisbane on a route like no other. Taking you into the rainforest and off the beaten track, he’ll also bring you to hot spots like Byron Bay.
Take the pressure off, kick back, relax and let someone else organise your transport. You'll be travelling up the coast on our comfortable Stray buses.
So much more than just your tour guide - expect entertaining anecdotes, great recommendations, extra support and local insider knowledge. They know every inch of this country. You can't get this from a google search!
Explore the best of New South Wales, including some off-the-beaten-track destinations that make Stray stand out from the crowd. See them marked with a heart on the map because they're the places our travellers love.
View your itinerary and book accommodation and activities on-the-go.
Flexibility at its finest!
10 nights included in shared (4-10 bed) dorm accommodation.
6 meals included - 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners.
Top rated activities
From surfing and wildlife spotting to canoeing and swimming, there are so many awesome inclusions with the Greg Freestyle Tour:
- Jump on our action-packed Blue Mountains day trip and marvel at the breathtaking views.
- Release your inner wine connoisseur at Hunter Valley and taste award-winning samples fresh from the vineyard.
- Tube down the river and spot local wildlife in the stunning Barrington Tops National Park.
- Learn to surf on some of the best beginner waves along the East Coast at Spot X.
- Get a closer look at Australia's laziest (and cutest) marsupials at the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital.
- Admire wild kangaroos hopping along Emerald Beach.
- Take a guided canoe trip down the Nymboida river and see if you can spot a platypus or two!
- Cool off in an epic freshwater pool right on the beach at the Angourie Blue Pools in Yamba.
- Visit the eclectic hippy town of Nimbin and the beautiful Nightcap Regional Park on a must-do day trip from Byron Bay.
What we're all about...
We’ve redefined the ‘traditional tour’ to give you the flexibility and freedom you crave.
Hop-off, stay longer and explore anywhere along the route. It’s your time, your way.
Stray are the experts in taking you off the beaten track.
We’re all about finding one-of-a-kind experiences and immersing you in the REAL Australia.
Our epic in-location and driver guides will ensure you get the most out of your trip.
Tick off your East Coast bucket list with ease and be introduced to places you wouldn’t discover on your own.
Travel is about creating lasting connections and sharing experiences.
Stray travellers are open minded adventurers who make the most of every moment.
We aim to leave Australia better than we found it, supporting local communities and protecting our environment.
Travel with us and together we can make a positive change.
Sydney > Brisbane: Greg Freestyle Tour
Due to COVID-19 all Stray trips are suspended until 1 November 2020. Please check our Service Updates page for more information.
Choose your start date:
Depending on which start date you choose, your accommodation inclusions will vary in order to align to the train timetables.
Let us know your preference in the checkout.
- If you start on Monday you'll get... More time in Byron Bay
- If you start on Friday you'll get... More time in Sydney
Since keeping it flexible is what we do best, no matter which departure you choose, and how many times you hop on and off, you'll be covered for 10 nights' accommodation in total for the nights you're on the tour - just keep in touch with us ([email protected]) and we'll book your included nights for you as you go.
Sydney > Brisbane: Greg Freestyle Tour
10 nights' accommodation are included in the price of your Greg Tour. We stay in hostels (mixed dorm rooms of up to 10 beds), lodges, campgrounds and cabins. If you hop off you'll need to book your additional nights' accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
Scroll through the gallery to see some of the places you'll stay:
Need to Know
Due to COVID-19 all Stray trips are suspended until 1 October 2021. Please check our Service Updates page for more information.
- Trip starts: Twice a week from Sydney on Monday and Friday.
- Transport: All bus travel is included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Included meals: Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so that they can be catered to where possible.
- Stray Travellers: Find your tribe and make meaningful connections with travellers from all over the world. The majority of our passengers are aged between 20-35 but there is no age limit! 70% of our travellers are travelling solo.
- Booking Buses (Hopping on/off): Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route - Here are our favourite places to hop-off. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your transport in advance.
- Minimum Days: You don't need to hop off on our Greg Freestyle Tour - you can travel your pass in the 10 "Minimum Days".
- Departures: Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Booking Accommodation: Your first nights' accommodation for each night of the itinerary is included (10 nights in total). Different start days have different accommodation inclusions. Hopping on and off the bus may alter your itinerary slightly (refer to Itinerary Tab) - please keep in touch with us ([email protected]) and we'll book your included nights accommodation for you as you go. You’ll still have the option to extend your stay in the places you enjoy most and can book and pay for additional accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
- Booking Activities: All included activities are open-dated, please contact Stray’s reservations team ([email protected]) at least 48 hours prior to arrival to confirm your bookings. Additional activities can be booked and paid for via the Stray Mate app.
- Melbourne Express Sector: You can add a Melbourne > Sydney Express Sector to your pass by selecting it as an upgrade. Melbourne Express Sector is not a Stray-operated sector and is subject to availability. Once a travel date is confirmed this sector is non-refundable. Peak season surcharges may apply for travel over the Christmas and New Year period. If travellers want to travel during this time they will be notified before their booking is confirmed of any additional charges.
- Book with confidence: You can start your trip anytime within 18 months of booking and you can change your start date as many times as you like. Once you start travelling, you can use your Freestyle Tour for up to 12 months.
- Payment Options: If you'd like to secure your place on the trip, but are a little bit short on cash, you can reserve a seat with a 20% deposit. Click 'Book Your Travel' and choose the deposit option in checkout. You then have 6 months to pay it off - too easy! Better yet - there's no admin fee. You can make payments when it suits you using our Extra Payments page. You just need to have paid for your trip in full 14 days before you start your travels.
- If you choose to hop-off and extend your stay in any location, all additional accommodation, meals and activities are at your own expense.
- In peak periods (e.g. Christmas/New Years, Easter, School Holidays/Events) some accommodation may be subject to an additional surcharge or minimum number of nights.
- Activities and accommodation are non-refundable once you start your Stray trip, any inclusions that you don't use are forfeited.