The Cam Freestyle Tour (12+ days) will have you exploring islands, snorkelling reefs and relaxing on golden beaches as you make your way from Cairns to Brisbane.
Take the pressure off, kick back, relax and let someone else organise your transport. You'll be travelling down the coast on a mix of our Stray buses, comfortable trains and ferry.
More than just a tour guide - expect entertaining commentary, extra support and local secrets.
Travel southbound through Queensland and visit some off-the-beaten-track destinations that make Stray stand out from the crowd. You can see them marked with a heart on the map because they're the places our travellers love.
View your itinerary and book accommodation and activities on-the-go. Flexibility at its finest!
12 nights included - 10 nights' shared (4-10 bed) dorm accommodation, 1 overnight boat cruise and 1 night camping.
11 meals included - 2 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners. (Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so they can be catered to where possible)
Top rated activities
- Forts Walk and/or Radical Walking Tour at Magnetic Island
- 2 Day, 1 Night Whitsunday Sailing Tour
- Airlie Orientation Walk
- 1 Day Great Keppel Island Adventure
- 2 Day, 1 Night Fraser Island Tour
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
- All National Park Fees
Choose your start date
Depending on which start date you choose, your accommodation inclusions will vary.
Let us know your preference in the checkout.
- If you start on Tuesday you'll get... More time in Airlie Beach
- If you start on Sunday you'll get... More time in Rainbow Beach
What we're all about...
We’ve redefined the ‘traditional tour’ to give you the flexibility and freedom you crave.
Hop-off, stay longer and explore anywhere along the route. It’s your time, your way.
Stray are the experts in taking you off the beaten track.
We’re all about finding one-of-a-kind experiences and immersing you in the REAL Australia.
Our epic in-location and driver guides will ensure you get the most out of your trip.
Tick off your East Coast bucket list with ease and be introduced to places you wouldn’t discover on your own.
Travel is about creating lasting connections and sharing experiences.
Stray travellers are open minded adventurers who make the most of every moment.
We aim to leave Australia better than we found it, supporting local communities and protecting our environment.
Travel with us and together we can make a positive change.
The number of nights in each destination varies slightly depending on the departure you choose to align to the train timetable. Click here to see the full Cam Freestyle Tour Timetable.
Since keeping it flexible is what we do best, no matter which departure you choose, and how many times you hop on and off, you'll be covered for 12 nights' accommodation in total for the nights you're on the tour - just keep in touch with us ([email protected]) and we'll book your included nights for you as you go.
TimetableNo timetables for this journey No timetables for this journey
12 nights' accommodation are included in the price of your Cam Tour. We stay in hostels (mixed dorm rooms of up to 10 beds), lodges, campgrounds, cabins and overnight on a sailing ship in the Whitsundays! If you hop off you'll need to book your additional nights' accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
Scroll through the gallery to see some of the places you'll stay:
Need to Know
- Trip starts: Twice a week from Cairns on Tuesday or Sunday.
- Transport: Travel by bus, train and ferry. All included in the price of your pass and organised by Stray.
- Included meals: Any dietary requirements or allergies must be advised upon booking so that they can be catered to where possible.
- Guides: Between Cairns and Rainbow Beach, where we travel on the fast, comfortable trains, you'll have In-Location Guides who will meet you at the station and show you around. Between Rainbow Beach and Brisbane, your Guide is also your Bus Driver.
- Stray Travellers: Find your tribe and make meaningful connections with travellers from all over the world. The majority of our passengers are aged between 20-35 but there is no age limit! 70% of our travellers are travelling solo.
- Booking Buses & Trains (Hopping on/off): Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route - Here are our favourite places to hop-off. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your transport in advance.
- Minimum Days: You don't need to hop off on our Cam Freestyle Tour - you can travel your pass in the 12 "Minimum Days".
- Departures: Buses/trains run to a seasonal timetable with multiple departures per week.
- Booking Accommodation: Your first nights' accommodation for each night of the itinerary is included (12 nights in total). Different start days have different accommodation inclusions. Hopping on and off the bus may alter your itinerary slightly (refer to Itinerary Tab) - please keep in touch with us ([email protected]) and we'll book your included nights accommodation for you as you go. You’ll still have the option to extend your stay in the places you enjoy most and can book and pay for additional accommodation via the Stray Mate app.
- Booking Activities: All included activities are open-dated, please contact Stray’s reservations team ([email protected]) at least 48 hours prior to arrival to confirm your bookings. For Fraser Island and Whitsunday Sailing trip bookings, we recommend booking at least 7 days in advance to guarantee your spot. Additional activities can be booked and paid for via the Stray Mate app.
- Fraser Island Inclusion: The Fraser Island 3 days, 2 night tour included in Freestyle Tours is run by a third party operator. This product is suitable for people aged 18-40. Travellers aged over 40 will be booked on an alternative 2 days, 1 night tour with more comfortable transport and accommodation
- Extras: $20 cash insurance to be paid to Fraser Island company + $10 for sleeping bag/linen hire on Fraser Island. $30 for snorkel tour on Great Keppel Island.
- If you choose to hop-off and extend your stay in any location, all additional accommodation, meals and activities are at your own expense.
- In peak periods (e.g. Christmas/New Years, Easter, School Holidays/Events) some accommodation may be subject to an additional surcharge or minimum number of nights.
- Activities and accommodation are non-refundable once you start your Stray trip, any inclusions that you don't use are forfeited. Once your activities and accommodation have been booked and confirmed with operators, they may be subject to change fees and/or a $25 admin fee per amendment.