Available for travel from 5 October 2018 - 23 April 2019
Please note there is no departure on 21st April
The Beach Hopper pass is an action packed three days taking in caves, lakes, waterfalls, and two of New Zealand's most beautiful beaches, on opposite sides of the coastline - showcasing New Zealand's spectacular nature.
The Beach Hopper can be booked on its own, or added to selected National or North Island passes.
Click here to see the route!
Flexible bus transport
Travel on our comfortable private buses and hop-on hop-off anywhere along the route.
Far more than just a driver, Stray Driver Guides are invaluable sources of local knowledge and support.
Have a bed reserved for you at every Stray overnight stop. Book and pay via our Stray Mate app.
12 month travel pass
Your pass is valid for 12 months from the first day of travel.
Not included: The cost of your accommodation and activities is not included in a hop-on hop-off pass. You have the flexibility to choose what suits your budget and pay-as-you-go. These can be booked via the Stray Mate app, often at an exclusive Stray price!
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to take the pressure off, kick back relax and let someone else do the driving?
✓ Do you want to visit some of the North Islands best beaches?
✓ Do you only have a short amount of time to travel?
✓ Do you want to start/finish in Rotorua?
The Beach Hopper Freestyle Pass is a 'sweet as' choice for you!
Want a tour with accommodation and activities included? Check out our Stray Journeys tours.
- Go deep underground and explore a vast cave network lit by glowworms at Waitomo Caves.
- See an impressive 55m waterfall cascading through native bush, falls so beautiful they're called Bridal Veil Falls.
- Watch a West Coast sunset from Inspiration Point
- Take a surf lesson on New Zealand's most famous, black sand surf beach in Raglan.
- Spend time swimming and sunbathing
- Hike up to the top of Mount Maunganui for epic views over the Bay of Plenty.
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
Given the spontaneous nature of our trips and lack of control over New Zealand's weather(!), what we do each day might occasionally vary from the itinerary below.
Departing early from Rotorua, our first stop of the day is Waitomo, where the main attraction is underground! Don’t miss out on the opportunity for some seriously cool caving adventures. You choose your pace, from a serene boat journey to check out thousands of glowworms, to adrenalin fuelled abseiling, blackwater rafting, and ziplining through the cave network. If you’d rather stay above ground, you can stroll the scenic 45 minute Ruakuri Bush Walk, through native forest to a large cave.
Next, we will set off on a little adventure to Bridal Veil Falls, where a short walk through beautiful native bush leads to the impressive 55m cascading waterfall, before arriving at our overnight accommodation in Raglan. Watch the sunset, or join the yoga or Zumba class at the aptly named Inspiration Point. Then spend your evening chilling around the fire, enjoying the hostel sauna or searching for glowworms in the nearby bush.
There’s no better place to learn to surf than Raglan’s legendary left-hand surf break, so we recommend making the most of your opportunity to take a class this morning! If surfing isn’t for you, then you can cheer your mates on from the beach or head into town and check out what this rad little surfer’s paradise has to offer. Around midday, the surfers will head to town to grab a bite and meet up with the rest of the group.
From here we begin our journey to Mount Maunganui, located in the magnificent Bay of Plenty region. Along the way we make a couple of stops to admire the scenery. First we observe the Waikato landscape at the Kaimai Mamaku lookout, followed by a longer pit stop at McLaren Falls park, where you can explore the rockpools and spectacular waterfalls. Arriving at “The Mount”, you will have the afternoon free to relax, explore the local area, and try a New Zealand delicacy - local fish and chips on the beach. Make sure to soak up the laid-back, surfer vibes downtown this evening or just kick back on the beach under the stars.
Get ready for an action-packed day! Seize the morning with a sunrise hike up Mount Maunganui where you’ll be able to see the entire Western Bay of Plenty and admire the white sand coastline. Those who struggle to get up before the sun can rise a little later to enjoy a scenic hop-on hop-off cruise to the secluded Matakana Island. For a more hair-raising wake up, book in a morning sky dive in Tauranga.
We’ll re-join forces and hop on the bus to Rotorua around midday, stopping to enjoy some epic sights along the way – including the stunning Okere Falls and the striking Lake Tikitapu (known by the locals as Blue Lake). You’ll be able to snap some Insta-worthy photos from the viewpoints, get up close and personal with nature.
Departs from: Rotorua
Departure Days: Tuesdays & Fridays
Operating dates: October 2018 - 23 April 2019
Please note that there is no departure on 21 April.
Timetables are subject to change but our team will email you if this happens whilst you are travelling.
Rotorua (via Waitomo) to Raglan (*Beach Hopper)
Raglan to Mt Maunganui (*Beach Hopper)
|Raglan - Karioi Lodge (Depart)||10:00||10:00||10:00|
|Raglan - Fire Station (Depart)||12:00||12:00||12:00|
|Mount Maunganui (Arrive)||16:30||16:30||16:30|
Mt Maunganui to Rotorua (*Beach Hopper)
|Mount Maunganui (Depart)||12:00||12:00||12:00|
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - Travel by private, air-conditioned bus (14-48 seats).
- Guides - Your Guide is also your driver - expect entertaining commentary, to learn some interesting facts about New Zealand and to hear a crazy story or two.
- Validity - This Freestyle Pass is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route.
- Minimum Days - You don't need to hop off if you're short on time - you can travel your pass in the "Minimum Days". There are non-travel days throughout the route so you will not be travelling everyday.
- Departures - Buses run to a seasonal timetable at least 3x a week.
- Booking Buses - Use the Stray Mate app to manage your trip - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation - Book Stray preferred accommodation as you go via the Stray Mate app - there will be a dorm bed allocated to you at each overnight stop providing you book via the app 24 hours before.
- Activities - Book activities as you go via the Stray Mate app.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. 75% of our travellers are travelling solo.