The 1st of October marks the start of Stray's 17-18 season. We are always reviewing, refining and expanding our adventure travel experiences to ensure we continue to wow and amaze our customers. Find out what's happening for the upcoming summer season here...
Departure Frequency: Hop-on Hop-off is all about having flexibility and choice with your adventure. Over peak season we will run a minimum of 12 buses per week ex-Auckland (North and Southbound) to ensure our passengers have the flexibility they want.
- Low Season: 3 departures per week southbound / +4 northbound to Paihia
- Oct - Dec: 4 departures per week southbound / +5 northbound to Paihia
- Jan - Feb: 5+ departures per week southbound / +7 northbound to Paihia
Online availability: We’ve loaded availability across the Stray network up until April ‘18. Existing customers can now login to straymate.com (using their email and booking number) and start planning their trip. Get booking for Summer!
Return to Rangitata & Kaikoura: Stray intends to return to our overnight stops in Rangitata and Kaikoura early in 2018. When we have a confirmation of the dates, we will communicate with passengers. In the meantime we will support any traveller wishing to visit Kaikoura as a return trip from Christchurch by offering information and booking support.
East Coaster (Summer only): Our popular 3 day East Coaster Pass will return this year offering overnights at Maraehako Bay and Tatapouri Bay (previously Te Kaha and Tatapouri Bay last season). Maraehako Bay is a gorgeous little bay with free kayaking and optional boat tours and fishing charters.
This unique trip around the East Cape offers a truly ‘off the beaten track’ experience into rural coastal life untouched by tourism. On day 3, passengers can hop off in Gisborne or Whakatane (for those wanting to join a White Island Volcanic Tour).
- Season: 3 October 17 – 28 April 2018
- Departing: Tuesdays & Saturdays (+ Thursdays between 4 Jan – 8 Mar)
- Start/Finish: Rotorua
New Overnight Stop in Raetihi: In true Stray styles, we are going even further off the beaten track with the introduction of our new overnight stop in Raetihi. From the 1 November Stray will replace its current overnight stop in National Park with a night at Snowy Waters Lodge, a restored historic nurses home where guests can look forward to a spa with a mountain view, a pamper room, murder mystery nights, quiz's and a few friendly pets for entertainment. This place has personality plus!
Wifi: From October 2017 Stray will no longer have wifi units on the buses as we've found out passengers are just as happy using SimCards and wifi at hostels and cafes. You can get a free Prepaid SimCard when you arrive at the airport or from the Stray Shop and data packages are flexible and affordable.
Season: 10 October 2017 – 05 May 2018
Departing: Tuesdays, Saturdays and Thursdays
Max group: 23 people
Accom: Comfortable cabins, lodges and hostels
Standard room type: Quad share, with single, twin, double room upgrades available on request
Pricing: $465 - $4,185 NZD
- More free time in Wellington: We’ve removed the Weta Workshop activity as an inclusion, as our travellers wanted more free time to explore the vibrant capital city and visit iconic landmarks like the impressive Te Papa National Museum.
- New overnight at Mt Cook (replaces Naseby): We are excited to announce we’ll now overnight in the spectacular Mt Cook National Park, home to New Zealand’s tallest mountain. This will replace our overnight in Naseby in Central Otago. Travellers can look forward to beautiful alpine walks, world class stargazing and optional extra activities such as scenic heli-flights and glacier tours.
- Scenic cycle: Instead of cycling in Central Otago, we’ll include a cycling experience in Wanaka around some of New Zealand’s most scenic lakeside trails.
- White water rafting (optional activity): En route to Christchurch, passengers now have the option to join an adrenaline fueled white water rafting trip in the foothills of the Southern Alps with Rangitata Rafts. It’s a must do! (Optional, at own expense)
Having successfully launched Blue Bird, a 7 day South Island tour, in 2016 we’re returning this season with two more tours to offer a full suite of North, South and National Mandarin guided adventure tours around New Zealand. Our Mandarin Tours have been specifically designed for the new age Chinese traveller who is seeking more authentic experiences and more choice in their itineraries. Our tours provide a fun style of travel to explore New Zealand and visit truly unique destinations with a range of quality optional activities on offer.
Season: 1 October 2017 – 22 April 18
Departing: Tuesdays and Sundays (2-3 departures per month - varies)
Max group: 23 people
Accom: 3+ star hotels, motels and lodges
Stand room: Twin share (male or female) with single room upgrades available on request
Pricing: $979-$2599 NZD
- North Island: 5 day Woolly Sheep, start/finish in Auckland
- South Island: 7 day Blue Bird, start/finish in Christchurch
- National: 12 day King Kiwi, start Auckland, finish Christchurch
- Mandarin speaking Driver Guide
- Transport on quality mid coaches
- Accommodation in 3+ star hotels, motels, lodges (Standard = twin-share male/or female, single room upgrades available)
- Breakfasts + some group meals
- Domestic flight (National only)
- Beautiful walks, national parks and unique destinations
- A range of quality optional activities (pay-as-you-go)
- No compulsory tipping, no shopping, no hidden fees.
More info: www.straytravel.com/cn